Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Fuel Economy

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
Pages: 1, 2
SamWise1972
Since I asked a question about economy before taking the plunge and buying an XM, I thought you might be interested to know how it's faring. With the fuel leak fixed, I tested it over 610 miles or so, of which 520 or so were motorway (70-80 mph, not taking it easy by my standards, and hard acceleration in the places where any was needed), the other 90 around town, and local country roads. Yielded an impressive 50.8 mpg. Makes me wonder what I could get by just doing a motorway journey, running at a steady 60!

I did a similar test for my diesel AX, but this time only about 260 miles, all of them motorway, pretty much, yielded a very impressive 62 mpg. This car currently has no speedo (still!) and I was driving it pretty hard (not that that made it fast!). I reckon more still is possible with gentler motoring.

The XM goes in for MOT today, and assuming it comes through for a reasonable price, I'll be getting serious about a new bonnet, and a plipper.....
jorgy9
QUOTE (SamWise1972 @ Apr 3 2008, 10:30 AM)
Yielded an impressive 50.8 mpg.

That's really good...My girlfriend's 1.9d naturally aspirated ZX makes 45-50max, and there's no comparison in the liveliness with a 2.1XM. Makes me think I should find a nice 2.1td in the near future.
G
SamWise1972
I was most impressed. It's also not as slow as some 2.5 owners would have you believe, or rather, it's quite fast enough for me (it might depend what you're used to!). The AX, by comparison, is dog slow.
beachcomber
That's outstanding Sam.

My 2.1 Estate used to average around 40 - 45 mpg depending on right foot, but would hover around the 50 mpg at holiday time [ ie "touring" mode].

Can't agree about the performance though - at best I would say it's "adequate".
Even my Wife called it a "slug" when she drove it, and she's the notorious mobile traffic jam here in Redditch.

What I did find outstanding about that car was it's ability as a tow car. I think I only once had to select 3rd. gear manually on a particularly long and steep climb approaching Calais.
Beachcomber
SamWise1972
I suppose it might be a context thing. In recent years, I've been driving a 1.1 Fiesta (knackered) a 2.1 TD Previa (heowge) an AX Diesel (uber slow) and a 1200 Herald (not exactly rapid). It might be my memory, however, but it doesn't feel any slower than the 19td Saab 93 that I had brand new in 2004. It's subjective, for sure, but I'm totally happy with the performance.
jorgy9
QUOTE (beachcomber @ Apr 3 2008, 11:37 AM)

Can't agree about the performance though - at best I would say it's "adequate".
Even my Wife called it a "slug" when she drove it, and she's the notorious mobile traffic jam here in Redditch.

To be fair though Beachcomber, the S1 2.1td estate appears to be almost 100kg heavier than the hatch (1,363 vs 1,455).

0-62mph acceleration was given by Cit at 12.7" vs. 11,1". This sounds pretty much like the diff between "adequate" and..."very adequate" biggrin.gif

I can perfectly imagine the hatch being pretty agile as it gives 24.5kgs of torque at 2000 -this means it's probably more powerfull till, perhaps, about 2,500 than my V6, which gives 20kgs on idle and peacks at 23.5 at 4,600rpm-. I rarely need exceeding 3,000rpm in my daily driving with the V6, so....

I also notice that, for prob the same reason, the hatch was offered in auto while the estate not.

Hatch:

user posted image

Estate:

user posted image

cheers
George
Peter.N.
Hi Sam

I have this just this morning put some fuel in mine, the trip meter was reading 801 miles since I last filled it about two weeks ago, with 2+ gallons left in the tank. Most of this was done on reasonably long journeys but some locally. 50mpg is easily attainable with the 2.1 if you drive with a little restraint in fact I get around 55 mpg on our Scottish trips.

The 2.1 is a very efficient engine, much better than the 1.9. My wifes ZX, which is a lighter car, can't match the XM's consumption. I think the main reason for its economy is the high torque at very low revs, most of the time it will pull quite happily at well below turbo full turbo boost. You can stay in any gear right down to tickover speed and it will accelerate away quite smoothly, but not at full throttle!

In my humble opinion the 2.1 is the best IDI engine ever made.

Peter.N.
SamWise1972
I do wonder whether the 45 mpg fuel consumption and sluggish performance mentioned above might be joint indicators of an engine not performing at its best?

I was also very interested to note the comment about the estate only being available in manual. Finding a manual estate is murder - they do exist, but in fact, the auto is much more common, at least in the UK.
citroenxm
Hi Sam

Glad to hear its pleasing you, and CHEAP to run!

I may plump for one one day, but it would have to have BOSCH mechanical injection - Just as yours is...

Great stuff

PS: The MOT should NOT be a problem, please let us know...

Rgds

C
SamWise1972
A few fail points. That dodgy left front tyre went, and apparently the spare is a different size, so there's that. Exhaust back box for £110 (he says the centre box looks fine, it's just a question of whether they come apart ok), and a steering joint and gaiter. The joint is £140, assuming it's a 16mm one, but apparently it COULD be 20mm, in which case it'd be more, and the parts people don't know where to get one. So, on a good day,it'll be £350, on a bad day, it might be over £500.
jorgy9
£110 for the exhaust backbox of a 2.1td?? Do u mean work included? Or is this a Citroen price? If not, for that price you can get one from German or French ebay and pay to make it travel around the world twice till it gets to you! My indy bought mine (V6, but the same part) for about £60 last summer. I even remember Peter picked one up from Uk ebay for about a tenner once.

cheers
George
SamWise1972
Interesting. Might give 'em ring in the AM, and get them to check the prices at GSF. Cheers!
Peter.N.
Have a look on ebay Sam, I picked up a brand new one for £19.00. I was the only one that bid on it!

Peter.N.
citroenxm
QUOTE (SamWise1972 @ Apr 3 2008, 14:24 PM)
A few fail points. That dodgy left front tyre went, and apparently the spare is a different size, so there's that. Exhaust back box for £110 (he says the centre box looks fine, it's just a question of whether they come apart ok), and a steering joint and gaiter. The joint is £140, assuming it's a 16mm one, but apparently it COULD be 20mm, in which case it'd be more, and the parts people don't know where to get one. So, on a good day,it'll be £350, on a bad day, it might be over £500.

Spares always seem to be a different size! Well they have been on my cars, all of them.

I think its a "get you to the nearest garage to change at the earlyest time " type of thing.. I could be wrong though..

C
SamWise1972
My indy is going to buy from GSF for mr, but has a low opinion of their quality! I'd ebay if time allowed, but right now, no chance.
Pages: 1, 2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2022 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter