Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Whats Snapped?

Club XM Forum > Xantia
Zaphod
watching this Xantia to use while I get my XM tct sorted out after its accident.. However as far as I know the only belt breakage that can stop the engine working is the cam belt, or am I wrong?

Stewart
steelcityuk
I'd think twice before buying, even if the belt hasn't snapped it could have sheared the teeth or slipped enough to bend the valves. You could be lucky in that only the pump timing has shifted but without a compression test you can't easily tell.

Steve.
citroenxm
If it has air Con (likely as its an R reg) it may have the wonderfully AWFULL automatic aux belt tensioner WHICH REALLY IS an awfull design.

The spring gets weak, the roller then bounces and rattles about, the pin bearings then wear and then the roller sits at an angle!! This then cuts a groove into the belt here then splitting it! If your really unlucky one half then dissapears behind the crank pully and jams the belt up.. then the cam pully shatters and has the "Broken Belt" effect!

If not, the replacement auto tensioner pully unit is about 80 quid or so from stealer...

C
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter