Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version What Does This Bit Do?

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
minijet
Does anyone know what this bit does?

user posted image

The cable has obviously snapped but the car still runs ok, just wondering if I should get it fixed.

Also

Does anyone know what these connectors are for? Located behind the facia above the passenger footwell.............

user posted image

Thanks,

Paul.
steelcityuk
The top one is the waxstat injection advance for cold starting. The have a reputation for ceasing up on 405 1.9TDs but it doesn't seem to make much difference, maybe a faster tickover if it sticks 'on'.

Steve.
steelcityuk
And I'd say the 2 connector are for the alarm control box. Is the box still there and just disconnected? Textron brand I think.

Steve.
minijet
Thanks for the reply Steve.

I couldn't see anything that the connectors would go into but I'll have another look tomorrow just to make sure.

Thanks again,

Paul.
steelcityuk
The alarm on my XM is disconnected by unplugging the unit. This still allows me to set the deadlocks. Whereas with the alarm plugged in, setting the deadlocks also set the alarm which had a tendency to flash the headlights (the siren is turned off under the bonnet). Looking again at the photos I'd say the alarm has been removed, it's about the size of a paperback novel.

Steve.
minijet
Useful info Steve...........the alarm on my other XM goes off for no reason sometimes and I can't turn it off (the under bonnet key switch doesn't work), so now I know where the wiring is I can disconect it.

Thanks again,

Paul.
techmanagain
QUOTE (steelcityuk @ Mar 31 2008, 19:26 PM)
The top one is the waxstat injection advance for cold starting. The have a reputation for ceasing up on 405 1.9TDs but it doesn't seem to make much difference, maybe a faster tickover if it sticks 'on'.

Steve.

It ups the revs on a cold stat by about 200 rpm. As the engine heats up, the wax softens and allows the cable to be shortened (lengthened?) progressively and slows the the engine down to a normal tickover.
Note the difference in engine injection "crackle" on cold start-up. Sounds just like a 2.1TD which has been advanced to get that extra oomph (and to hell with the head gasket!)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter