Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Mark 1 Versus Mark 2

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
relliott
Hi,
I'm from America, which I know is a bit unusual. I bought one of the 17 CXA cars back in 1992 and loved it until I sold it with 62,000 miles on it. I always thought that the ride was wonderful, up to the point that the suspension spheres wore out. But one day, in Holland, I got a ride in a Mark 11 and it was so much better than my Mark 1 ever was that I was astounded.
So, about 2 months ago, I bought a Mark 1 with 30,000 miles on it. New spheres, new fluid, etc. I'm a little disappointed in the ride. I now have a chance to buy a Mark 11 with 4800 miles on it and my question is: Was there a change to the Hydractive between Mark 1 and Mark 11s? Is this all my imagination or was the ride really that much better for Mark 11 XMs. And if it was better, does it correlate to a certain ORG number?
I really appreciate your time in answering me.
Thanks.
Peter.N.
Hi relliot

I have owned both and can't say that I have noticed any appreciable difference between them providing the suspension is up to scratch. Good center spheres make the most difference to ride quality, but the system has to be functioning properly. After about 12 years of ownership, I have never had a problem with ride until just recently, my present one seems to have a problem with the electrovalves, but it is unusual, the spheres are usually the problem.

The only noticable difference in suspension set up between the two is that you can switch the Mk1 into permamant 'sport' mode wheras the Mk2 sport setting just increases the sensitivity of ther system i.e it changes to sport earlier.

Peter.N.
jorgy9
Hi there

Peter is right, there shouldn't be any great difference in the comfort of the car between H1 and H2. Probably there some problem with your car. If you search the forum, you'll find plenty of info on the problems that can occur with the suspension -electronic and hydraulic-. Look for "diodes", "pressure regulator", "hydraflush", etc.

Can I just ask, do you do any maintenance alone, i.e. are you a "hands on" person at all? In the best case it could cost you pennies to repair it (if it's a diodes problem).

Could you also write an account on what has been replaced with new on the car? You said spheres and LHM till now. All other components are from the factory?

cheers
George
SamWise1972
QUOTE (relliott @ Mar 16 2008, 01:20 AM)
Hi,
I'm from America, which I know is a bit unusual.

There are 200 million of you! Statistically, you're relatively common, unless you're comparing to Indians or Chinese. Certainly much less unusual than being English.....
wirdy
QUOTE (SamWise1972 @ Mar 17 2008, 16:09 PM)
There are 200 million of you! Statistically, you're relatively common, unless you're comparing to Indians or Chinese. Certainly much less unusual than being English.....

tongue.gif

Applaud the dedication required to run a hydraulic Citroen when there must be many other cars that have much softer suspension available in the US.

Guessing you want to go around corners too then? smile.gif
Peter.N.
....all of them I would have thought. biggrin.gif
kiwi
Hi relliot,

I have a Mk1 and a Mk2. Both have similar ride characteristics, but my preference is for the Mk2 - it seems a little more positive on the road. This is perhaps due to the passive steering I understand is fitted to Mk2s.

I have been spending a lot of time in the back seats of my XMs lately. I had a bad accident at work in January and have one leg in a full length cast, so I have to be driven everywhere. I've come to appreciate some subtle differences between the Mk1 and Mk2 (my ones anyway!) as a back seat passenger. The Mk2 seems quieter, and seems to be smoother in the corners. Sadly, my Mk1 has a gorgeous leather interior whereas the Mk2 has cloth, but thats life I guess!

I like them both, but as a passenger I prefer to travel in the Mk2. With another month to go before my cast comes off I'd love to be able to drive either of them!

Regards,
Kiwi
Peter.N.
Hi Kiwi

Sorry to hear about your incapacity, but look at it this way, you must one of the few XM owners qualified to report on the rear seat ride and comfort. smile.gif Hope you are soon mobile again, on foot that is.

Peter.N.
perzy
QUOTE (wirdy @ Mar 17 2008, 16:22 PM)
QUOTE (SamWise1972 @ Mar 17 2008, 16:09 PM)

tongue.gif

Applaud the dedication required to run a hydraulic Citroen when there must be many other cars that have much softer suspension available in the US.

Guessing you want to go around corners too then? smile.gif

But it's much more to it than just the softness...the anti-roll, the side stability, the road always feels fresly paved.
I dont master the real theoretical side of it but I know there are a lot more to it... tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter