Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Heaters O-rings

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
Bantam
Hi there,
Does anyone have a blown diagram of the heater matrix connections and the same for the radiator hose's.

I remember on my ZX i had to replace some o-rings to re-seal the piping to the rad's after taking the rad out.Will this be the same for the heater matrix also ?

Just got my car its a 96 2.1td .

I think my Heater matrix is leaking (As the car just steams up all the time inside) so whilst the water is out i'll flush the front rad and replace the matrix.

Thanks
UFO
I can't answer the question about the O rings, but here are some pics I took a couple of years ago when I did mine. For some reason the photos may not be in order. unsure.gif

http://craigdeb.com/photos/thumbnails.php?...&page=1&sort=td
Peter.N.
If its a Jan 96, YBL reg it will have been made in '95 and have the earlier type radiator with ordinary jubilee type clipped on hoses.

Can't help you with the heater matrix I'm afraid

Peter.N.

Just had a thought. If its the one I think it is it's Feb registered with an EPIC pump, I think it is still probably the same, just check the radiator hoses.
steelcityuk
Some photos here of my recent heater matrix swap if they help -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7328220@N02/

Steve.
jorgy9
QUOTE (UFO @ Mar 4 2008, 10:00 AM)
I can't answer the question about the O rings, but here are some pics I took a couple of years ago when I did mine. For some reason the photos may not be in order. unsure.gif

http://craigdeb.com/photos/thumbnails.php?...&page=1&sort=td

Hi Graig

what is all this gunk on the old matrix? Leaking points?

cheers
G
jorgy9
Hi all

I won't escape doing mine soon so as I'm mentally preparing: from the various photos I've seen it's not clear how the 2 metal pipes and the matrix 2 plastic ones stay tight together? What are they forced from? Is there any chance you get it not-good and it leaks at those points after refitting?

cheers
G
jorgy9

Oh, just saw in Steve's pictorial they are held by a torx head screw. rolleyes.gif
Is this the golden-ish screw visible, or it is not visible on the photo?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7328220@N02/2271177739/

Still I cannot undestand how the matrix side moves backwards to unplug from the 2 metal pipes. Are not both sides rock-steady?

cheers
G
noz
Hi Jorgy,

The matrix isn't such a bad job really. There are a few posts on how best to change it. Just use the search function at the top right of the screen. My preferred method is to unhook the steering column. 4 nuts on the main bracket and 1 bolt on the splined column itself. Once the column is swung out of the way changing the matrix is easy. There's enough slack in the two tubes to allow them to retract from the matrix to allow the matrix to slide past the tube ends. Each metal tube has a swelling at the end to form a shoulder. The figure of 8 pipe clamp is trapped behind the pipe shoulders. The pipe clamp is then secured to the matrix by the one, central, self-tapping screw. As with the hydraulic connections the o-ring does all the hard work. When I've reassembled mine I've smeared a little plumbers mate paste on the o-rings to give them a little better chance of sealing. I've also taken the o-rings completely off and rubbed them between my fingers to make them pliable again. I've never had a problem getting them to reseal after fitting a new matrix.

Cheers

noz cool.gif
Bantam
Thanks Guys so far the photo's are really usefull....Because i need the car for daily use i want to be sure i dont need anything ordering before i start the repair and flush.

To Peter.N.

The Main Radiator Hose's look like the ZX ones, no jubilee clips in sight these i remember were weird twist on things they sure did need new O-rings ?

Thanks so far....Waiting to purchase an Haynes manual from Ebay for my car wink.gif
jorgy9

Thanks Noz, it sounds very encouraging as I only have my street to work on. A nice summer-day job.

G
Peter.N.
If its the same as mine it will just have the hoses slid over the metel pipes with clips securing them, no 'O' rings needed. The later type has sort of bayonet connections and is a completely different radiator, this one does use 'O' rings.

Peter.N.
steelcityuk
QUOTE (jorgy9 @ Mar 4 2008, 14:50 PM)
Oh, just saw in Steve's pictorial they are held by a torx head screw. rolleyes.gif
Is this the golden-ish screw visible, or it is not visible on the photo?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7328220@N02/2271177739/

Still I cannot undestand how the matrix side moves backwards to unplug from the 2 metal pipes. Are not both sides rock-steady?

cheers
G

Hi George,

The screw isn't visible in the photo, in fact it's not in place. It fits between the 2 pipe connectors on the matrix and screws into the alloy clamp that is on the pipes. I smeared the O rings with Vaseline to stop them 'dragging' and possibly distorting. I found I needed to file the corner edge off the top pipe connector to allow the matrix to slide in without bending the matrix fins. I good brush out of the housing got rid of any leaf litter that had built up.

Steve.
jorgy9

Thanks all for the info!

G
UFO
Yes that is a leaking core you saw in my pics.

Just a tip on the pipes - to get some clearance you can gently pull them a couple of centimetres back into the engine bay then when the new core is in, gently push them back again.
jorgy9

Thank you UFO.
G
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2022 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter