Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Water In The Boot

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
Pages: 1, 2
robertxmb
Hi Bantam,
Like Citroenxm I too am sceptical that a wet boot could cause misting under m/way driving when the car is up to temperature if heater /blower is working properly.
I sometimes have a wet boot load of golf gear which causes misting when car is cold but clears rapidly using demist and heater/blower.

Robert.
techmanagain
With deference to those who have found getting the steering column out an easy way to replace the heater matrix, I have always used a far quicker way by dealing with it like the Haynes Manual says -unbelieveable isn't it.I believe I know who helped in the early stages of writing the book, so I'm not surprised.
xmexclusive
Hi All

I currently have the foam underlay from the boot of an estate still laid out on the top of one of the SORN cars in the unit. The foam is about 20mm thick and was so waterlogged that it took nearly two weeks to dry out. The car stopped misting up within an hour of removing the underlay. I only stripped the boot floor to take the car for MOT welding of the rear suspension supports. It was only then that I found that the boot was flooded as the top plastic of the underlay was dry. Then I found the parted washer pipe. Just as well I had not fitted the replacement heater as I had intended. I would have still had a steaming up problem.

Regards

XMexc
robertxmb
Hi Bantam,
Further to what I said earlier, I just remembered when I first had an XM I had terrible misting up which was very difficult to clear. Eventually I noticed the ventilation control was set to recirculate the air already inside the car which got more and more humid and condensed on the glass even when warmed up. Worth checking if you are unfamiliar with the dash controls as I was at the time, its the one with the car outline and a U-shaped arrow.

Robert.
jorgy9
QUOTE (citroenxm @ Feb 24 2008, 20:29 PM)
Hi... I dont want to put a Downer on this, but would a wet boot steam the car up?

Yes, a lot, and for many days till it all dries, had it on a ZX -and it was not even as bad as Bantam's sounds-.

cheers
George
Bantam
Well tonnes of suggestions.......Tomorrow the wet boot carpets are coming out to dry.

Good point on the heater ciculation control...Well in my quest to sort out the misting problem,as i couldn't see at this stage traveling home with the car.

I noticed the internal circulation slider had seized solid in fact i tried to free it and all came off in my hand.

So that i know is struck in Interior Mode only (Which didn't help things)

Thats just another investigation Job but one that wil need doing soon....Could be rusty cable or flap ?

Thanks all and i'll be in touch.

UPDATE:

Taken the Boot Mat out to dry this morning It seems to be more soaked from front to back on the nearside of the mat as there is a dry patch to the back of the offside ?
xmexclusive
Hi Bantam

Not sure about a car but on an estate the rear washer pipe runs right down the nearside to the tail light behind the trim then via non return valve back up to go into the tailgate in a rubber sleeve by the hinge.

Regards

XMexc
Peter.N.
Paul has a 'YBL' biggrin.gif

Peter.N.
robertxmb
Hi Bantam,
If its stuck in recirculate mode that is the major part of your misting up problem, it really can make an incredible difference even without water in the boot unless you have aircon or the occupants stop breathing! I have the electronic panel in my current XM so perhaps someone with the manual controls could confirm your diagnosis, and how to resolve.

Robert.
aengus-xmv6
remove glovebox and move the flap by hand.... tongue.gif

suppose it is possible that the PO had the glovebox off and there's now something jamming the flap in place, so best to take it out to see what's what.

regards
Dave
Peter.N.
Dont forget the screw behind the latch bezel!

Peter.N.
Pages: 1, 2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2022 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter