Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Multi Car Insurance

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
Pages: 1, 2, 3
SamWise1972
The "need a car" thing is why I have two!
rowanmoor
I would love to have 2, but don't have the space to store them. The neighbour already complains and has in the past threatened to hit me because mine is parked on the road near his house.
SamWise1972
I'm lucky enough not to suffer that. People are reasonably reasonable round here, but I've come across the sort of people who'll threaten to hit you because you've parked your car before, and I'm not a big fan.
beachcomber
Insurance,

I put insurance companies in the same category as bank managers, estate agents, lawyers and Dick Turpin.

Up until I "retired" I had trade insurance - so no probs, Ferrari or 2CV all covered the same.

However, I have always maintained a "private" insurance, ever since the time I was told that because I hadn't insured a car for 2 years [ outside of my trade policy obviously] that I had forfeited my full NCB and would have to start again!

I don't know if it's an age thing, but nearly all the quotes that I've had in the past 5 years have been with F.Comp. the same price as TPFT. In fact on 2 occassions it was actually CHEAPER to have FC!

Now here's an idea - the "club" approaches a major insurer or three and offers them club business at discount rates - that leads to "agreed insurance valuation" via the club, which most insurance companies acknowledge. The value of the car is more important than any other aspect [IMHO ] - where else am I going to get a £27K luxury car with 100K+ left in it for the £400 'ish that they would pay me out for my mint condition VSX Estate with a mere 110K miles on it?

It certainly doesn't hurt to say " Howwwww Much?" when you get a quote, and simply say that you've been quoted "x" elsewehere - that got me a further £40 off my last premium, which was already £80 cheaper than the previous year's insurers.

I'm currently with Churchill - £120.00 fully comp with Wife as named driver and a Birmingham post code - even though we live in the countryside 25 miles from Birmingham! Churchill have done a deal for multi car policy discounts when prodded with "well there's always Admiral".

What I find VERY strange are the insurance groupings - my WIfe's Celica GT and her 2.5 Quad Cam Scooby Legacy are both several groupings below the XM?

Beachcomber
Peter.N.
Hi Beachcomber

That sounds very reasonable, its cheaper than my TPFT, and we live in one of the cheapest areas in the country. I think the age of the car has got something to do with it, when mine passed 10 years the premium went down.

The agreed insurance valuation sounds good, but I suspect you wouldn't get at at anything like that premium. If you can find otherwise I would be very interested.

Peter.N.
beachcomber
Hi Peter,

Don't forget I get my bus pass next year !!! biggrin.gif That helps with the premiums.
My car's also 10 + years [ '96 ].#

Beachcomber
Peter.N.
Hi Beachcomber

I got mine nearly four years ago sad.gif When I reached 50 I thought well at least some good will come of it, my insurance will go down, I am now approaching the age when the premiums will start going up again! sad.gif

Peter.N.
wirdy
Can I smell wee around here? tongue.gif
Peter.N.
Not just yet unsure.gif
wirdy
QUOTE (Peter.N. @ Feb 12 2008, 23:52 PM)
Not just yet unsure.gif

Sorry Peter, couldn't resist. wink.gif
rowanmoor
The other thing to do with insurance is to make sure your spouse is a named driver - even if she won't drive it on principle like mine, something to do with a 'funny handbrake'. It will bring the premium down having her on there.
Peter.N.
Mine is and she does. She has driven all the CX's and XM's. Drove mine back from Slough last week when I picked the other one up. My daughter in law drives one too.....so tell her she is being a whimp...only don't tell her I said so. - mad.gif

Peter.N.
aengus-xmv6
QUOTE (rowanmoor @ Feb 13 2008, 13:00 PM)
The other thing to do with insurance is to make sure your spouse is a named driver - even if she won't drive it on principle like mine, something to do with a 'funny handbrake'. It will bring the premium down having her on there.

hmm, that'd depend - mine's not passed her test yet so guess she'd not qualify for cover on the V6!

either way, divorce not far off so wouldn't do that anyhow...

Thought sole-driver was the cheaper option anyway? and post-40 a slightly better rate...?
xmexclusive
Hi All

It all comes down to statistics. The insurance companies keep very detailed records of claims related to peoples profiles which they process to determine policy charges with the aim of maintaining/increasing their profits. You will only get a good quote if your particular needs are seen by them to be low risk and they have decided to increase your particular sales profile. Married couples, both drivers with cleanish records have a markedly lower claim cost hence the slightly lower premium if both are named on a policy.

Regards

XMexc
SamWise1972
Swinton, who I was using, wanted to charge me £650 for the XM, this is with 7 years NCB!!! Admiral wanted around £400, Adrian Flux the same, and all wanted to charge £300ish for the AX. Went to Churchill, got £170 for the XM, £120 for the AX. Guess who I chose?
Pages: 1, 2, 3
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter