Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Just Bought A Cx ...

Club XM Forum > CX
jamieb
Am now the proud owner of a 1988 CX 2.2 TRS. It's been through the MOT (not quite sailed but almost) and I've just had my first motorway run.

It was a great experience. It seems to have two happy speeds at 2000 and 3500 rpm which roughly corresponds to 30 in 4th gear and 70 in 5th. I'm guessing top speed is around 90. Stately acceleration. Hugely enjoying the joy of DIRAVI and the suspension, but a bit worried by

1) The smell of petrol, under bonnet and in the cabin (noticeable but not awful).
2) The boot which I can't lock
3) Absence of handbook so don't know where the fuses are or anything. For central locking?

Anyway. that's where I am with it. Anyone out there?

JAmie
Andmcit
Excellent choice Jamie!

I think the top speed could even be 90+ or thereabouts!! DIRAVI is totally fabulous isn't it!!

The 2.2 and 2.0's have a bit of a history of dodgy carbs and there's a chance the car has had
some previous activity from a past owner so I'd check the security of the fuel feed than runs
up the front of the engine and check if there's a fuel filter etc that may even be choked or not
secure. When you're at the front of the engine, check the metal coolant feed pipe than runs
across the front cross member as these have a tendency to rot with potentially disastrous
consequences...

Check the wires (especially the earth) inside the bootlid first to get life into the central locking
motor.

The fuses live under the front knee pad area ahead of the driver with a pair of slot screw
fasteners which allow the cover to drop/hinge down like the glovebox.

The Haynes IS worth having as it's from the old school of thought with proper overhauling and
significant surgery, rather than the HaynesLight dumbed down version of today that needs a
chapter to tell you how to change a wiper blade... rolleyes.gif

Check out ebay for the french Revue Technique/Practique manuals and there are links for the
proper Cx manual to download as a pdf on the web with a bit of creative Googling!

Enjoy - a sadly rare beast now and actually your model will be economically viable too!

All the best,
Andrew

www.cxclub.co.uk hint hint
jamieb
Andrew

That's all v interesting. Many thanks. I am definitely coming round to DIRAVI after a couple of early wobbles (literally). I know the previous owner had the carb looked at so all those bits you mentioned will be checked. I hope I've got a HAynes manual coming plus a handbook.

It was highly entertaining sitting in it on the first day totally unable to find the door handle to get out again. Now I just think: invisible door handles - why doesn't everyone do it (along with non- returning indicators). I do just love that view down the bonnet.

I'll check out the website and thanks again

JAmie
Andmcit
Hi Jamie.

Another thought on the fumes smell you're getting in the car.

S2 Cx's, as yours most certainly is, have a tendency to have bootlids that dissolve behind
the bottom 2" deep plastic trim. This means that if you've got a particularly bad one, it's likely
to start getting exhaust fumes into the car as the aerodynamics will have the effect of drawing
in the emissions!!!

Granted, this is a worse case scenario but a possible reason some folk experience migraines
driving the car which have nothing at all to do with the joy of actually piloting a Cx!!! Some MOT
guys are sharp for this kind of thing, where others are prepared to allow a pass if the exhaust
outlet is beyond the rear bumper not taking into account the aerodynamics.

I hope this doesn't worry you and this is purely thoughts from my experiences with Cx's over
the last 20 years!! The S1 bootlids don't rot half as bad but rarely come with the central locking
motor incorporated into the inner webbing strengtheners so they're highly prized second hand.

When I have a moment, I'll post a link for the Cit manuals from my bookmarks.

All the best, Andrew
Andmcit
http://www.citrotech.se/

biggrin.gif
jamieb

Ta Andrew

I've checked the bootlid - it's fine but thanks for the tip and it's an interesting insight into the aerodynamics.

Jamie
jamieb
And that's a great link.

J
David Hallworth
i know someone who is selling a 1988 CX TRS, is it silver and did it come from Glasgow by chance?

Regards

David.
jamieb
No. mine's white. I would love to know how another 2.2 handles though - top speed etc etc - to see how mine stacks up.

Jam,ie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter