Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Wiring

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
robmc52
Evening all, can anyone point me at a wiring diagram for the air con electrics on my 2.1td S1? Was working fine now deceased so I'm going for the easy fix option first. Ta!

Bob
xmexclusive
Hi Bob

Sorry all my stuff is for Mk2's but wiring is similar so will see what I can find. Aircon can die from a couple of causes. Lack of gas pressure over rides the 12 volt electrical supply to the aircon compressor clutch and a top up may solve this. Loss of 12 volt supply to the aircon control electronics is common on XM's usually a fuse/contacts problem in the engine compartment fuse box.

Regards

XMexc
robmc52
Hi xmerc, thanks, I'm hoping it's just a connection or a faulty pressure switch or the like. When I originally bought the car the aircon had been checked over and a new condenser fitted, there's no bubbles in the sightglass so I'm assuming that the gas is still in there.

cheers
Bob
xmexclusive
Hi Rob

In my experience an XM aircon system can loose enough gas pressure in 18 months or so that the compressor clutch does not cut in. That is not a sensor failure but a cut out to prevent the compressor burning out if run without gas. I thought that gas bubbles in the sight glass were a sign of a working aircon system.

Regards

XMexc
robmc52
Hi xmex, sorry, I meant there that there's a few bubbles in the sightglass but no more than when the system was working. When I first picked the car up from the garage they said the aircon guy had pressure and leak tested the system and had declared it fine so I'm hoping it's not losing gas or I'll have to take it back and get it checked. It went from working very well one day to not working at all the next hence my feeling that it's an electrical problem. Unless a rock has gone through the new condenser of course tongue.gif

cheers
Bob
Jan-hendrik
I am puzzled by the bubbles phenomenon. Bubbles are only visible when the compressor is working. Bubbles visible in the sight glass indicates then that there is a lack of gas in the system. Seeing these bubbles can only confirm that the compressor is rotating.
Have you confirmed that the compressor is actually rotating? Does the interior blower work? Do the radiator cooling fans start up when the aircon is switched on?
Perhaps you could provide some more specifics?
robmc52
Hi Jan, just had a look at the sightglass and there's no bubbles present today. The rest of the heating system is working fine, the interior fan and the radiator fans are ok. The air con does not fire up when the dashboard switch is pressed, I can't hear a relay operating and the compresser clutch does not engage. I'm hoping someone can point me to a wiring diagram so I can just check the continuity initially.

cheers
Bob
Jan-hendrik
QUOTE (robmc52 @ Sep 30 2007, 13:17 PM)
Hi Jan, just had a look at the sightglass and there's no bubbles present today. The rest of the heating system is working fine, the interior fan and the radiator fans are ok. The air con does not fire up when the dashboard switch is pressed, I can't hear a relay operating and the compresser clutch does not engage. I'm hoping someone can point me to a wiring diagram so I can just check the continuity initially.

cheers
Bob

Sent you a PM smile.gif
citroenxm
Jan

If you have a diagram, would it not be Friendly to share it rather then just between yourselfs??

I thought thats why we are all members on here.

Thats of course if you have PM'd a solution, if not my appologies to you.

Rgds
citroenxm
Jan-hendrik
QUOTE (citroenxm @ Oct 4 2007, 19:52 PM)
Jan

If you have a diagram, would it not be Friendly to share it rather then just between yourselfs??

Rgds
citroenxm

Bob has an electric problem and needed schematics so I offered to send him some copies from the XM workshop manual. From a series 2, by the way. No specific solutions offered; nothing sneaky going on biggrin.gif
robmc52
QUOTE (citroenxm @ Oct 4 2007, 19:52 PM)
Jan

Rgds
citroenxm

Citroenxm

As Jan says, he has kindly mailed me an aircon diagram which has enabled me to trace the fault through the system. I'd love to get a decent workshop manual, the Haynes book is hopeless when it comes to the electrical side of things. The air con wiring being a case in point, it's not covered. I can remember when Haynes manuals were useful, having exploded views of the components for instance which at least showed how bits fitted together. There's a cd manual for sale on the web but from reading posts on the forum I take it that this is a copy of the manual Noz has been compiling?

cheers
Bob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter