Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Steering Pulling To Right

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
Pages: 1, 2
techmanagain
Taking all the information culled from the previous mails, I feel that the sooner you check the front suspension wishbone bushes for wear the better.
onthecut
Hi Peter

Just a late thought --- you mention the tie rod end is odd, insofar as you've had to screw it fully in --- which definitely doesn't sound riight. If it is wrong to part number, is it possible that the ball and socket arrangement may also be incorrect ? On some joints the pin is able to move around the full 360 deg of the socket aperture, while on some I have seen, the pin movement is restricted by way of it emerging through a slot. A quick gander at the QH listings shows a total of three tie rod ends for the XM --- Up to '94, then '94 on, with either a thread diameter ( I presume) of 18mm or 22mm. The OE number for the early end and the later 18mm one is the same, however.
I'd definitely raise the issue with your supplier if you're not happy with it. ( About 6 months ago, I bought a new wheel cyl for my Landy -- Lucas, in the box. Recently started persisting fluid out. Took it back, as obviously should last somewhat longer and the people put their hands up straight away -- they'd been conned that these were genuine when in fact they were a far Eastern fake. Lesson being there are some nasties out there which reputable firms are shifting in good faith. --- always worth asking the question).

Mike.
Peter.N.
Hi Mike

The problem was there before I fitted the ball joint, in fact, since I fitted it, my son says that the car is a lot more stable, he was complaining about it wandering about before - but it still pulls to the right!. The original joint was adjusted with about three threads showing and was spot on alignment, this one is screwed right to the end and is slightly towing in, but only very slightly. When I compared them to see if I had the right side (wrong one supplied last time) it did look slightly longer than the original, so I will have to tackle GSF about it.

Peter.N.
xmexclusive
Hi Peter

My elderly GSF catalogue mentions that there are two types of Tie Rod Ends for XM's. Not a Mk1/Mk2 difference but the odd type is for the 2.5TD only.

Regards

John
Peter.N.
Hi John

Yes I had noticed that. The one I have is N43608 which is the general one, the 2.5 apparantly has a 'C' on the end. I phones GSF today and they were about as much use as a chocolate teapot. I will go into Exeter next time I'm that way with the box as its not a make I recognise 'Vibring' it says, doesn't say where its made but it wouldn't surprise me if it was an 'eastern' import.

Peter.N.
cassmo
I dont think that changing wheels side to side will help because at the same time you reverse the direction of rotation. Better try the spare. There is no doubt that tyres can pull to one side. Having worked in the tyre industry I came across it many times.
noz
Hi Peter,

A clear test for the wishobone bushes is to accelerate then decelerate on a flat straight road. If the degree of pull changes (better or worse) between acceleration and deceleration then the bushes are worn. The side which is worn will move ahead of the other side under acceleration. So if the left side is worn it will pull to the right under acceleration. Vice versa for worn right side bushes and vice - vice versa for deceleration.

I have had to replace one pair of bushes on my silver 2.5TD. Search on here for bushes and you'll see the problems you face:-(

Hope that helps eliminate something !

cheers

noz
Peter.N.
Hi Noz

I am pretty sure the the 'pull' is constant, although not severe. Since I changed the track rod end my son says it drives much better and has stopped complaining about it!

We are off to Lairg on Monday in both cars, as we now have a grandaughter as well as a german Shepherd. We should be just about in time to enjoy the snow in the dark! If we have any problems we should have enough bits to make up one good car out of the two. unsure.gif

Peter.N.
noz
Hi Peter,

I'm in Muir of Ord on Monday. We'll probably pass each other on the A9 ! I'll be leaving MoO at roughly 17.00.

If you're passing through the central belt you're welcome to a stop off and a coffee.

Glad to hear the 'pull' is much better.

cheers

noz cool.gif
Peter.N.
Hi Noz

Thanks for the offer but we are staying in the travel lodge at Southwaite on Monday night and proceeding on to Lairg on Tuesday. We will meet up with you one day.

Peter
Pages: 1, 2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter