Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Rear Engine Mount

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
dean
Hi all

The car went for its M.O.T today, Now i don't want to upset anyone put it passed first time.........4th year in a row biggrin.gif . Anyway the tester said that my rear engine mount could do with sorting, something about filling a knackered mount with silicone not being an ideal long term fix rolleyes.gif , (well it seemed like a good idea at the time). Unfortunately Citroen no longer sell them and the other local factors didn't list them either so anyone know where i can get one at a reasonable price?
UFO
Surely the whole mount is not stuffed, just the insert. You can buy new inserts and remove the old and press the new one in. Refer to the pics of my head gasket rebuild and there are some pics of the engine mount insert replacements.

http://www.craigdeb.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=1

It is not that difficult a job to do.
techmanagain
Craig is obviously right about the engine mount for the V6, but regrettablythe mountings for the 2.5TD are totally different.
I do believe however, that despite having been quoted as 'no longer available', if he persists he will find that they can be obtained from France - albeit with some delay. I shall be very surprised if that is not the case. (p.s. you may be shocked at the price!)
techmanagain
As can be seen from my previous reply, I think 2.5 (!) but the 2.0 is obviously different and seems to be similar to the V6 in design. My current srapper is a 2.0 Carb. model and I may be able to help out with a S/H unit, but first try M & C Lockwood on 01274 640590. You may be pleasantly surprised.
dean
Thanks gents

I would like to go down UFO's route, I've got a spare mount in the garage, but the rubber has perished and come away from the casting, so if i could press in a new rubber it would save me a great deal of Money, If not i will give M & C Lockwood a try.
As regards parts from France, i regularly have to wait a couple of weeks for cit parts, window weather strips for example, have been on order for 11 w days and still no sign of them.
UFO
FWIW, both the lower front and top right engine mount inserts on my V6 XM are listed not as XM parts but as a C5 rear gearbox mount.
dean
Thanks Craig that makes my search a whole lot easier biggrin.gif , by the way how did you press them in? washing up liquid and a big vice?
UFO
Some vaseline on both surfaces and a 12 tonne press.
Ciaran
Hmmm.... I was under the 2.1 yesterday trying to get the pin out of the caliper, and noticed that the rubber insert in the lower engine mount (driver's side), is in a very sorry state. Large cracks, chunks of rubber hanging out etc, so I'm guessing its up for replacement.

The top mount rubber on that side isn't great either (one crack appearing), but its not half as bad as the lower one. Am I to presume that as these two are on the way out, the other one will be too?

Is the rubber a standard item across the range even if the mounts themseves differ?

Cheers

Ciarán
dean
Hi Ciaran

I havnt looked into getting a new rubber yet ( dealing with some hydraulic gremlins at the mo) but let me know how you get on with fitting it. I was hoping to use a big vice to press the rubbers in, but after Craigs advise the only option i have is to get someone to press them in for me ,or use the JCB teleporter at work to offer a bit of gentle persuasion biggrin.gif

Good luck
Peter.N.
Hi Ciaran

GSF do the 2.1 lower bushes at a very reasonable price, but they may deny it as its listed as something obscure. I will try and find it. You can get them out with a big hammer and chisel or less brutal, cut a slit in the outside casing with a hacksaw blade, you will probably still need a hammer amd chisel, but a smaller one!. To refit, I put the bush in the freezer, lubricated it with some grease and knocked it in with a suitable sized socket. You have to be quick, before it expands and drive it in straight - or it jams, guess how I know. I beat the life out of it and it still didn't go right in - but far enough.

Peter.N.
Peter.N.
N10126 £6.25 + vat Fits all XUD engines.

Peter.N.
Ciaran
Hi Dean, Peter.

You may well get to it before me Dean, the way things are going. It took three weeks for me to get a chance to change the brakes on the S2... and I managed the inevitible 'dislodge parking brake cable from equalizer' gotcha too biggrin.gif. Must sort that out first.

The engine mount thing does concern me I must admit. Have to devise some way of supporting it while the mounts are off too...
To be honest, depending on how busy I am, it may end up going to the indy for it, as its obviously pretty important. Will keep you posted anyway.

Peter, many thanks for that part number. You're right, I'd never have found it, looks like its listed as a Pug 405!? Pretty ingenious method you devised for inserting it too, would never have thought of that! I don't know anyone with a press, so it could very well be an option.

Cheers

Ciarán
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2022 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter