Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version How Sad Is That!

Club XM Forum > Anything goes chat
Little&Large
Hi all
Just got back from France and have been looking at all the latest woes.Mine ran very well and am up to 35K now in 13 months so I am very pleased with it.
I broke my economy record managing 796 miles before the fuel light came on with the computer showing another 78 miles to go.I did a round trip of 210 miles at an average of 54.4 mpg,admittedly it was rolling around the countryside at 50mph ish,but there was town driving and numerous stops as well.However when I caned it on the autoroute to get to the hotel in time it dropped to the low 30's!!!!
I also managed to travel 424 miles on one mark less than a half tankful with 602 miles still shown on the computer to go(in the end it ended up at 874(above))(picture attached...sad I know)-fantastic for a car of this size with the thermostat issues as well.The car had me and the dog as well as a very full boot so it was moderately loaded.
Regards Rob
onthecut
Hi Rob.

If you have thermostat problems, be aware it's really not a bad job at all, nor that expensive. I'd say no more than an hour, taking it easy; it's all done standing up at the front, which isn't bad for an XM. Both stats are available aftermarket, each for under £20.
Did mine on the new toy the other day and was pleasantly surprised. If you go for it, be aware that wherever you get the main stat from, it doesn't come with a gasket, so you need to order that up front (or make one). If yours is the same as mine, you won't be looking at reusing the original.

Mike.
Little&Large
Hi Mike
An hour for you maybe...but this is me you are talking to!!!It ALWAYS goes wrong with me-I have this philosophy that if it still goes and passes its MOT then leave it alone.Having said that it really must be changed this winter as the economy suffers then.There have been a couple of threads recently explaining how to change them both so I will have a go in the autumn.
Regards Rob
Peter.N.
Hi Rob

Congratulations on that fuel consumption, thats about the best I get from my 2.1 although I do get it regularly when not under pressure! mad.gif

I would concur with Mike about the thermostat unless you are going to be driving in the south of France all the time, it does make a difference. You will probably get 65 mpg then. wink.gif

Peter.N.
onthecut
Hi Peter.

Not having had a 2.5 for a while, I must say I was pleasantly reminded of their incredible economy potential for the size of car. First decent run out in the new toy was Brum / Norfolk / Essex and back, which is a reasonable mix of driving. OK, I wasn't exactly pushing it, but according to the computer gizmo it had done 49. Personally, for something this size and potential, I think that's incredible.

Mike.
Peter.N.
Hi Mike

You must drive like me, although I hope you are not as old! I bet your brake linings and tyres last a long time too. smile.gif

Peter.N.
rowanmoor
I really must start driving like you guys.

I don't get anywhere near that economy. Partly due to a stuck thermostat that I will replace soon, but mainly due to my driving style. Low 30s is usual for me.

I get through brake pads fairly quick too. And my front tyres don't last as long as I'd like.

I blame all the roundabouts on dual carriage ways on the way to work. I just can't resist that extra bit of accelerator when the BMWs think they own the road tongue.gif
Ciaran
I drive a bit like you, Rowan. Normally I'm in too much of a rush, and tend to not floor it, but proceed rather briskly down dual carraigeways and the like. Plenty of that on the way to work, before I hit the 4 miles of motorway roadworks standstill.

I get 40 something MPG in the TD, and low - mid 30s in the 2.0i, not too bad considering the size of these cars. Mind you, if I dared drive the 2.0 the way I do the diesel, I suspect low - mid 20s would be a more apt figure!
I do love diesels, even when you boot it they still give reasonable MPG.

Peter.N.
I used to drive a lot when I was working, about 30k per year, although I used to nip about a bit when I was a kid, I stopped having accidents when I was about 30 by allowing more than six inches between my bumper and that of the car in front. As my mileage increased I found it was much less tiring to drive at a steady pace, within the speed limit, by allowing myself plenty of time for the journey and not setting unrealaistic targets. Mind you, a lot of that was done in the early days of motorways when there was very little traffic, so you actually knew how long the journey would take - not any more. I used to do Leeds and back quite comfortably in a day, a round trip of about 600 miles, there's no guarantee you would even make it now!

Now I drive mainly for 'pleasure' and am quite happy to sit in the nearside lane at 60 mph if there is a lot of traffic, but I love the North of Scotland and Brittany, you can still enjoy driving there - its so quiet.

Peter.N.
rowanmoor
QUOTE (Peter.N. @ Jun 29 2007, 08:33 AM)
Now I drive mainly for 'pleasure' and am quite happy to sit in the nearside lane at 60 mph if there is a lot of traffic, but I love the North of Scotland and Brittany, you can still enjoy driving there - its so quiet.

I rank your part of the country as very quiet. That is one of the things I miss about living in the west country (grew up there). Never been to the North of Scotland or Brittany, but I expect I would start to get paranoid that there was something wrong as I didn't see enough cars laugh.gif

Unfortunately, 60 is a vain hope in parts of my daily commute. That on a motorway where the only reason you are not doing 80 in the outside lane is either the idiot who wants to turn off on a congested exit and just sits stationary in the outside lane waiting for someone to take pity and let them in, or the other idiot who pulls out when the traffic slows to under 50 and then doesn't understand that you either pull in again when not overtaking someone or speed up again when the traffic in front speeds up.

Then there are other parts where the motorway suddenly opens up (usually cos you have undertaken the second of the idiots above) and you are up to 80 till the next junction. That is my efficiency drive at the moment - keep to 80 or less.

My commute isn't too bad for round here though. Used to do the M25 where 5mph was good going due to the number of cars trying to go the same way you are.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter