Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Pump Up Leaky Tyre To Get Jack Under Car!

Club XM Forum > Anything goes chat
DrTim
Old one front o/s type started leaking badly (inside wall) after last runabout in it a couple oaf weeks ago. Can't get more than about 15 psi in it so decided to put spare on (first time Ive done this in 9 years!). even though cheapest type shop in town is only 100 yards away. Tyre had gone flat with slow leak for several weeks back in Jan btw.

Anyway, got spare out (what a fithy mess!) and tried to jack up front o/s (spent a week thinking about it after first go I discovered jacking point a little bit worse for ware). Suspension in high. Couldn't get get jack under jacking point. Had to pump up leaking tyre a bit to complete the job.

btw jacking point is starting to rust a bit :-( but jack locked in pretty solid.

Am interested in and comments or observations.

regards

PS that spare low speed wheel really looks rubbish doesn't it.
jorgy9
QUOTE (DrTim @ Jun 18 2007, 21:46 PM)
Couldn't get get jack under jacking point. Had to pump up leaking tyre a bit to complete the job.

That sounds strange, in mine I'm sure I can't get the jack with the car in "drive" height -which is a bit incovenient-, but in high it should jack. Are u sure the jack was on its minimal expansion? Perhaps your hydraulics can't make it to the highest position due to leaks/tightness in struts? Does the pressure regulator cycle continuously while it's on highest position?

BTW my car has a normal spare wheel.

regards
George
wirdy
Both mine have 'normal' spares too....has someone swapped wheels over on your car?

You should get the jack under on the 'extra ground clearance' setting, one below maintenance setting....unless you have a different jack as well.
Peter.N.
Don't worry about a jack, just carry a log round in the back of the car. Put the suspension on full height, place the log under the appropriate jacking point and let the suspension right down, I think you will then find the desired wheel in the air.

Peter.N.
noz
Hi DrTim,

You never said but I presume the jack you were referring to was the Citroen-supplied screw-type bottle jack? As a matter of principal I've never lifted a car using the manufacturers jack on the sills in the last 20 years since I saw a Kwak Fit Footer jack right up through someone's sill. All the owner got was "Sorry mate, looks like I've just written off your car". On the VERY odd occasion when I have to use a garage (for tyre changing) I always make a nuisance of myself and make sure the car is jacked under the chassis. The sills on both sides of my daily XM have the little vertical seam completely flattened and buckled for approx 300mm by some tw*t using a trolley jack on the sills.

On the space saver spare wheel - I've never heard anyone say before that their XM had one. Could someone have swapped it for one from another car? Why you'd want to.... beats me.

Cheers

noz cool.gif
xmexclusive
Hi All

There are 3 basic types of Citroen (PSA) car jack. The very early XM's were supplied with the original screw tube jack as came with BX's. The only setting these fit an XM is fully up with the car on level ground. They quickly changed to the equal scissors supplied with most XM's. You can sometimes fiddle these in on normal but usually need to raise the suspension. In more recent times PSA have supplied low nose offset scissor jacks with Xants and Pug 406. One of these will fit the XM lifting point with the suspension fully down and can be very useful in lifting enough to get a trolley jack under a dead car. Mine came from a scrap yard as I came across one for the first time while I was searching boots for CD changer cables.

Regards

XMexc
DrTim
OK interesting input.

Yes I will make sure in future to make sure the type shop boys take care, or take wheel of myself (shop only up the road). Presumably the indies and dealer would have treated it better during its numerous visits that the type boys... If only I'd known a few years back :-)

Been meaning to get a proper jack, seem to be quite cheap. May request recommendations soon.

xmexec, it must be a bottle jack, even though its quite a late S1 car. Windy handle. The owners book does say if your car has a low speed spare tyre (100mph max!) blah blah, and to be honest it LOOKS like the original that has been under the car since 1993, even got the paper label on it still!, so I didn't realize it was uncommon. Did quickly check the S2 car a while back but can't remember if that was a different wheel to the road wheels or what type of jack.

Are you guys saying even with alloys there should be a 5th identical wheel? Beginning to suspect lots of cast off superseded bits got used up on the Pretiege range!

There is an intermittent slow LHM leak front o/s, car was definitely in high, I was parked on an uphill slope (you might have seen pics of my street I posted here). Maybe that makes a few mm's difference? I did check jack was at min setting.

btw sat in it for a while and tried the a/c after wheel change. Still like the interior better than the VSX S2 one. A/c all working but been low on gas for several years so not cooling like it should. I did day dream slightly and remembered when it WAS working. ..

later
DrTim
OK interesting input.

Yes I will make sure in future to make sure the type shop boys take care, or take wheel of myself (shop only up the road). Presumably the indies and dealer would have treated it better during its numerous visits that the type boys... If only I'd known a few years back :-)

Been meaning to get a proper jack, seem to be quite cheap. May request recommendations soon.

xmexec, it must be a bottle jack, even though its quite a late S1 car. Windy handle. The owners book does say if your car has a low speed spare tyre (100mph max!) blah blah, and to be honest it LOOKS like the original that has been under the car since 1993, even got the paper label on it still!, so I didn't realize it was uncommon. Did quickly check the S2 car a while back but can't remember if that was a different wheel to the road wheels or what type of jack.

Are you guys saying even with alloys there should be a 5th identical wheel? Beginning to suspect lots of cast off superseded bits got used up on the Pretiege range!

There is an intermittent slow LHM leak front o/s, car was definitely in high, I was parked on an uphill slope (you might have seen pics of my street I posted here). Maybe that makes a few mm's difference? I did check jack was at min setting.

btw sat in it for a while and tried the a/c after wheel change. Still like the interior better than the VSX S2 one. A/c all working but been low on gas for several years so not cooling like it should. I did day dream slightly and remembered when it WAS working. ..

later
DerekW
Hi Dr Tim,

My 2000 model exclusive has four "Monaco" alloys and a steel spare. I think this is usual.

Derek
xmexclusive
Hi Dr Tim

The spare for a set of alloy wheels as supplied with the car by Citroen is a steel wheel. That said there have been 3 different designs of spare wheel for alloys supplied over the years. The original type had a standard steel centre with steel inserts added to the bolt holes to take the flat faced Alloy wheel bolts but they fitted a narrow width/deep profile tyre to give roughly the same wheel diameter as the Alloys with standard tyres. This I guess is your space saver wheel. After a while (latter end of Mk1 production) Citroen changed their specification and still using the same steel wheel centre for the spare started fitting a fifth tyre of identical type to those on the four Alloy wheels. This made the spare when in use road legal in the UK. Not satisfied with the extra cost of those steel inserts to make the steel spare take Alloy bolts Citroen made a further change towards the latter end of the Mk2 production. The Alloy wheels and wheel bolts were redesigned so that the bolt had both a flat for fixing an Alloy wheel and a taper for fixing a standard steel wheel. From this point a standard steel wheel was supplied as the spare for Alloy wheels. Note that old and new type Alloy wheels and bolts may look identical but are not interchangable.
I was surprised to find that the wheel diameter and rim width of all these wheels was the same so that you can if you wish have your steel spare fitted with the same size tyre as the alloys. You can also by changing tyres if necessary move your alloys to your later car.

Regards

XMexc
xmexclusive
Hi Derek

"Monacos" ? are you sure as the 1999 model year spec says that the exclusive wheel design changed from "MONTE-CARLO" to "VILLE DE MONTE-CARLO".
The name branding can be found on the inside of the wheel rim but if you take out a wheel bolt and it has a taper for a standard steel spare then you have the later wheels. They also changed the design of the "ETOILE" Alloy wheel for lesser spec cars at the same time but just called it New "ETOILE" because any one can tell the difference just by looking at the wheel on the car.

Regards from your friendly pedant XMexc
DrTim
I got a pic of the spare in question.

DerekW
Yes, alright. I knew it was somewhere down the lower end of France.

Hangs head in shame.

Derek
xmexclusive
Hi Dr Tim

Yes, the early XM cars had 175/70 tyres on the spare wheel as standard except the V6's and all estates which had 5 identical tyres. Your prestige spare wheel will take a standard tyre. The UK regs require identical size tyres on any axle so a non standard tyre such as a spacesaver wheel should in theory only be used to trip to the nearest place of repair.

Regards

XMexc
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter