Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Hardly Noticed This Down Here...

Club XM Forum > CX
Andmcit
Just for those who don't know what a Cx is... biggrin.gif

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Andrew biggrin.gif dry.gif
UFO
And here's another!

http://www.craigdeb.com/photos/albums/car%..._april_0709.jpg

Yes some may not be aware of the XM's predecessor.

I have just ordered a top engine mount insert from Brian Primmer for this car. I will let you all know how it goes when I receive it in a week or 10 days time.
Peter.N.
Ahhh, very nostalgic. I did over 160k in my last CX25 DTR turbo Safari. I drove one again earlier this year, and I think I actually prefered the XM, but what a fantastic car for their time!

Peter.N.
Andmcit
Each has it's own strengths and weaknesses though overall they're BOTH
far greater than anything else that'd be comparable (OK, notwithstanding
a D or an Sm although I'd expect these will undoubtedly cost more to
buy/run/maintain and be 'too precious' to use all the time) - in the end
it's NOT a competition!!!

I know given the choice between my Cx GTi Turbo2 and my 24v V6 Xm,
an Xm 2.0i Turbo saloon and a TD Xantia estate, my heart wants to be with
the Cx ALL THE TIME, the wallet wants to be running the TD Xant ALL THE
TIME and the head says run the Xm 2.0i Turbo as the workable 'compromise';
the 24v 'likes' it's Unleaded (well it does the way I drive... far more than
the Cx GTi uses).

I can't carry an engine crane in the boot on any apart from the TD Xantia
estate which is one reason it's so handy as the daily rough & tumble
workhorse/grind to and from work!

At the end of the day though, for me the best of them all is a tie between
a DTR2 Safari and a S1 T1 GTi Cx. In the end, so long as I'm just about
holding onto a drivers' licence, I do intend to keep running these and aim to
get my 1222 Gs up and running again shortly, this model being the first car
I bought myself as yound lad!!

You know, you are allowed to have one of each - it's not against the law
although SWMBO may not be impressed!

Andrew
Peter.N.
Hi Andrew

I did consider buying the Safari, especially as it was a Turbo 2, but at my time of life I decided I didn't really want the hassle of restoring the bodywork. I agree, they do both have their own strengths, the CXs central steering knucles, Diravi and over 6 feet of loading space being just a few, I think it was just that the CX being older had more squeaks and rattles, and of course, a lousy heater. From a design point of view the CX front suspension is way ahead, with the XM they capitulated to Mcpherson struts which give nothing like the straight line stability of the wheel centre pivot arrangment, but I suppose are cheaper to produce.

It was really the diesel engine in the CX that first attracted me to it, I had done quite a few diesel conversions on various cars to try and improve on what was commercially available, but the CX was a real leap forward, even in non turbo form the performance was good compared to the petrol vehicles of the time, and the quietness and refinement almost unbelievable, when most other diesels sounded and drove like tractors, yes, including the Golf! It was only when I had driven it for a while that I appreciated just what a superb car it was. I had three, the last being a turbo, not a '2' I wish it had been, that was about the fastet diesel on the road at the time.

Still, the XM has a good heater....

Peter.N.
medwaycitroen
We have a particularly lovely black 2.5 pallas. Pictures can be found on our website. Again, we also have parts! cool.gif
demag
Absolute style icon at the time weren't they. Mine really used to turn heads although in reality it wasn't anything special. For a 2 litre it did go quite well though and was economical on a run.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter