Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Hillman Avenger, Anyone?

Club XM Forum > Anything goes chat
Ciaran
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...fromZR40QQfviZ1

Good condition for year biggrin.gif

Interestingly though, will that be subject to an emissions test, if its first date of registration is 2007?
Peter.N.
Certainly unusual, but would you really want to drive a 1973 car after an XM? I drove a CX a few weeks ago and was a little dissapointed. I like the idea of a classic car, but I dont think I would like to drive one! Will be interesting to see how much it makes.

Peter.N.
Ciaran
I have to say Peter, I completely agree on the classic car front. Nice to look at, nice to mess around with, but I don't think I'd want to drive one everyday either, especially after being used to the comfort and spec levels of an XM! smile.gif
Little&Large
Hi all
None of you have been in an Isetta then.The Hillman is luxurious in comparison!It is easier to say what is fitted rather than what isn't.It has a speedo and a heater often likened to a fart in a thunderstorm,a seat(adjustable)and a sunroof(legal obligation(for escaping) in case you crunched the door)....that's it.Hubcaps,bumpers(once described as the most ineffectual bumpers ever fitted to a car),heater and interior door pocket were an optional extra on the Super model.OK I will list what it doesn't have.....trip meter,cigarette lighter,seat belts,sun visor(s),clock,interior light,hazard lights,heated rear window,washers for the windscreen(not fitted but needed for MOT-I have seen washing up liquid bottles rigged to squirt onto the screen and they have passed).(Please take it as read that there are no electric anythings on the car anywhere).Having said all that mine is fitted with a Smiths Semi Automatic clutch that works with 21.5g of magnetic powder in place of a normal clutch system,a design so advanced only 12 cars were produced with it out of a Worldwide production of 200,000 cars...before it was delisted after 6 months(Japanese idea of course)!
I may be unkind regarding the Hillman....but of all the cars that could have survived unused,a nice Lotus 7 would have been nice,a Mini Cooper an XM even.......but a Hillman Avenger hardly likely to get you going and this is said by a bloke with the above!!!!
Regards Rob
onthecut
Hi all.

Fascinating find and, no doubt, a real jaw dropper if you're an Avenger fan. This one is surely headed for a museum --- it would seem almost criminal to start using it after it has survived this long in 'new' condition. It certainly raises the issue of which cars of the past one would most like to come across as new. I think for me it would be a Triumph 2.5PI Estate, leather, power steering and overdrive. A classic, lovely sounding, smooth straight six with a cosy English interior and handsome (to me !) proportions.

Mike.
Andmcit
First car I EVER drove was an Avenger with a Tiger engine, suspension and
Plymouth Cricket high backed seats. Went like the wotsit off a shovel. Not a
bad car but I then discovered a GS and the gulf between similarly aged cars
was massive - totally blew me away and I've exclusively been running
Citroens since.

Shame this auction wasn't for a brand new in the box GS though!

On and off (simply for a bit of variety) I drive a CX GTi Turbo2 every day
and trust me - there's no disappointment in this part of world

- in fact there's a good bit of WTF was that from everyone else... cool.gif

Andrew
Peter.N.
The nearest thing to the XM I can remember owning was a Humber Super Snipe, nearly as big as the XM, red leather seats, walnut dash and door cappings and picnic tables in the back and just the sheer weight made it ride well. A far cry from my first car, a 1939 Ford prefect, no heater no internal light and the whole car contained less wiring than the drivers door of an XM! but at least in those days, you could see the road between the cars.

Peter.N.
wirdy
Perhaps I shouldn't admit this but I rallycrossed and smashed up three Avengers in the mid 90's. They were on their way to car heaven anyway owing to terminal tinworm.

The last one had the Holbay GT engine with twin strombergs and did go rather well; certainly enough to see off the golf GTI's of the era in a straight line - a bit different around the corners though unsure.gif

Not a car that conjures any enthusiasm from me I'm afraid. Each to his own though.
techmanagain
QUOTE (onthecut @ May 11 2007, 17:33 PM)
Hi all.

Fascinating find and, no doubt, a real jaw dropper if you're an Avenger fan. This one is surely headed for a museum --- it would seem almost criminal to start using it after it has survived this long in 'new' condition. It certainly raises the issue of which cars of the past one would most like to come across as new. I think for me it would be a Triumph 2.5PI Estate, leather, power steering and overdrive. A classic, lovely sounding, smooth straight six with a cosy English interior and handsome (to me !) proportions.

Mike.

With a comment like that on the Triumph 2000/2500, you are my friend for life!
My first big car - but I also had an Avenger!
onthecut
Hi Techmanagain.

A very overlooked model series in my opinion and vastly better to work on than the Rover 2000 which seemed to trounce it sales-wise. Used to amuse me when you'd see them at auction --- shades of the XM now ---- people were petrified of the PI version. They'd come round with the telltale misfire and oozing fuel from the pump and promptly get given away, yet is was cheaper to get the pump fixed than ever it would be to buy a pair of carbs !

Mike.
DerekW
What was interesting to me was the comparison made in the ebay blurb between the Avenger and the Marina.

In 1972 my car (Victor 2000 rustbucket) was run over at a roundabout by the back wheels of an artic. I was in the inside lane, he in the right hand lane and decided he wanted to turn left; he was also deaf as he ignored my panic-stricken horn blowing.

Anyway..... The garage gave me a 2 litre Marina whilst mine was being repaired. It was, without doubt, the worst car I've ever driven;heavy, unresponsive steering; jiggly, lurchy ride and an awful driving position where the seat, pedals and wheel were all out of line with eack other. That first evening, straight from work I was back into the garage pleading with them to give me something - anything - else. They gave me an Avenger and yes, it was a bit lightweight and tinny, but it was a thoroughly nice car to drive and surprisingly quick. In fact it was with some reluctance that I handed it back when my car was repaired.

Derek
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter