Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Xmv6 Starter Motor

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
Pages: 1, 2
paulxmski
Hi all,
Can anyone say if the Lucas starter motor LRS792 which is specified for the XMV6 24V S1 - S2 1989 -1997 will fit the MK1 12V V6?

Thanks you all biggrin.gif
jorgy9
Do you have a Citroen part number for that starter?

regards
George
Andmcit
Not sure about Lucas part numbers and all that but let's put it this way
- I've fitted a 12v V6 one on my 12v V6 so it should work the other way!
After all, the engine's inherently the same on the S1's at the end of the day.

Answer; Yes, why not! Have fun...

Andrew
paulxmski
Hi sorry no part number. Maybe Andrew but if it's wrong?

Thanks
Andmcit
OK - need persuading!?

GSF listing says:

N90124 STARTER MOTOR-BQ XM 2.0 65.00
N90130 STARTER MOTOR-BQ XM 2.1TD 94.00
N90130A STARTER MOTOR XM 2.1TD 74.00
N90132 STARTER MOTOR XM V6 108.00

so no mention of differences there and you can also check out the listing
on Valeo's' own site and they should know as they used to be OEM:

http://www.valeoservice.com/html/export/en...gueproduits.php

click the top right link for their web catalogue

- it looks OK for the V6 24v and 12v
BTW - the french for starter motor is moteur de démarreur

So, are you going to buy ebay Item number: 220106443669
Peugeot 605 V6 / Citroen XM V6 Starter Motor LUCAS

A fair price as it's half GSF's price - I had my own starter reconditioned for over £100
a few years back - my wallet still bears the scars...

Andrew
jorgy9
Hi all,

I have a (still) bitter experience with a similar purchase. In Christmas I bought a clutch for my 12v V6, the part being specified for the similar Peugeot model (12v V6), but not the XM. "They can't be different", I thought. £100+post. I even spoke with the seller x2 before I bid and he confirmed and also agreed I could return and get refund if it was not fitting. Clutch was totally different. From Sachs Germany, they told me that according to their database, it was for a C5 V6. Shachs UK said it was for XM. A total mess and me in the middle. My indy found a clutch for my car (a fitting one!) in 1 day. My money and the clutch are still with the seller. I'll now report him on ebay and then take him to small claims.

Bottomline, I wouldn't buy because it fits the similar 605. Just phone Lucas, nobody else, and make sure that this part No fits to *your* XM. Specify even the month of production, not only year, of your car. Then, offer your money.

regards
George
paulxmski
Thanks Andrew and George very helpful I will check with Lucas

Yes that's the one Andrew, but I am holding fire because it is very difficult to take out fit and re-fit I understand.

Kind Regards,
Paul.
paulxmski
Hi Andrew,
I had a look on the Valeo site (thanks for the reference) and they show different types JPZ for the 12V and JP4Z for the 24V and the starters are rated differently 127Kw hrs for 12V and 140Kw hrs for the 24V maybe it's just beefed up but unless I can confirm the fitting is the same I wont go for it.

Thanks very much for looking that up though The Valeo reference is really handy to have.

Paul.
paulxmski
Hi unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif
paulxmski
Hi All,
I had a look on http://www.lucasee.com and the LRS00792 is specified across the range of the XMV6 as Andrew said.

Thanks.
citroenxm
paulxmski

Series one 12v?? Is that a Manual? or an auto. All S1 24v are manual, I guess the bell house, were the starter bolts too, NOT the engine MAY be different HOWEVER, I did find that a starter from a 1.6 or 1.8 8v xantia, or a 2.0 8v XM engine WILL fit if you swap the NOSE part, thats the part that goes into the bell housing.

I needed a starter for my V6 auto 12v, and had a Xantia 1.6 starter, swapped the ends over and it fitted and worked PERFECTLY!

Good luck.

Regards
citroenxm
paulxmski
Hi citroen XM that's very interesting because I have bought the lucas one from ebay. It hasn't been delivered yet and I haven't taken the old one out, but I guess it might be possible to swap the nose part you describe between these two if it doesn't fit rolleyes.gif . I am going to try and get the starter out from the side and top by removing the passenger side wheel and the distributor cover. Do you think this is a possibility or do you really have to take the front of the car apart. Someone suggested taking the plate off the bottom of the car and taking it out the bottom of the car. Any ideas on this. I don't have a garage so the car is just on a hard standing which is why I want to do it the simplest/quickest way wacko.gif
citroenxm
Paul

Yes, from under neath, you will be NO WHERE near from above, as you have the front bank exahust manifold going round the starter.

Your best bet could be to remove the down pipe, if it will undo from the rear manifold and get it out the way, you'll have loads of space then.. It is possible with the down pipe in place but a bloody fiddle, to remove the heat shield.

Also its a fiddle to undo the mounting bolts.. It is possible with the front on but quite an fiddly task...

Anything I can help you with, give us a shout 07876716324 EVENINGS

Regards
citroenxm
Andmcit
CITROENXM - ARE YOU SURE!? THIS ALL SOUNDS UNNECESSARILY COMPLICATED!! blink.gif

I'd strongly advise not touching the manifold/front end panels, radiator etc etc.
ALTHOUGH YOU'RE CERTAINLY CORRECT TO RECOMMEND that It needs tackling
from underneath.

I'd be surprised if there was any under-tray etc blocking access. You can try
undoing the bolts from the top but only need the bonnet opened to undo the battery!!

The car needs secure support up no more than 12" at the front - the only real hassle
I encountered was actually jacking the car up - the front wheels dropped down as it
was jacked and I had to lift it a way to get my heavy duty car ramps underneath - no
big deal though, honest!

I've had an expensively reconditioned starter that kept failing and got to the stage
that I could swap over starters in about 30 minutes...

In reality anyone who can 'spanner' confidently should get the job done in no more
than an hour in total - obviously without stupid snags like rounded bolts etc. No
removal of anything barring the actual +ve battery, the wiring feeds and the heat
shield over the starter (if still fitted) is needed.

If you like, you can remove the upward facing accumulator sphere; and that's JUST
to access ONE of the more awkward allen headed bolts (this was on a manual
gearbox car that will likely be the same as yours anyway) - that's ONLY
IF they're REALLY tight and have NEVER been undone before. I was worried I'd
ruin the head and have to undertake more serious surgery to remove it...

It's actually a very compact lightish starter and not too difficult to manouver through
the available space.

Andrew
citroenxm
Andrew

Thanks, yea I over complicate things, but I found an array of pipe work and accumilator units in the bloody way of the starter bolts, but managed..

Removing the exhaust makes it a little easyer, other wise its a wiggle and a struggle to remove it..

So far my starter is behaving, will have to look into speeding up change over for next time.

Thanks anyway

Regards
citroenxm
Pages: 1, 2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter