Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version V6 24v Engine Speed Sensor

Club XM Forum > Petrol Specific Issues
Assich
I reckon I can see the flying lead connector below the inlet to the manifold but that's about it. Anyone know where it attaches to the engine and what needs to come out to replace it? Oh it's a late 90 degree engine.
jorgy9
1999? You mean a late 60 degree engine?

G
Assich
The engine sits straight up and down in the engine bay. That's a 90 degree is it not.

user posted image
rosspa
It is, but has no relevence to the 'v' angle. The 60 degree or 90 degree is the inside angle that one bank of 3 cylinders make with the other bank of 3 when viewed from either end.
DerekW
...... and the one in your photo is a 60 degree engine (type ES9J4).

Sorry I can't help with the location of the speed sensor.

Derek
jorgy9
The PRV V6, 90degrees with 12v looks like this:
jorgy9
...like this:
jorgy9
And the PRV 24v 90degrees, looks like that:
citroenxm
Jorgy9

There is NO external difference between the 24v and 12v 90 deg units, as study by me has found that the original 12v design had left PLEANTY of room for an extra set of valves in the current space to make 24v!! Hence them looking identical with just the additiion of 24v on the rocker covers, they too being interchangable

Albiet with a single cam, but they do the job perfectly!

Were did you get the 24v pictutre from, do you know of the car and its Registraion??

Regards
citroenxm
jorgy9
Hi citroenxm,

I'm not sure what u mean but, I think I cannot agree with you, if we speak of appearence. Those photos are from ebay cars and I've seen them (12 and 24vs) many-many times the last years. As u open the bonnet, they *do* look different, as per the photos. My 12v looks like the photo 12v. Doesn't your 24v look like the 24v in photo?

When I first saw a 24v engine photo I was surprised how little care they took of the "looks" of the top of the engine, having previously seen the good aestehtical result of the 12v cap (even my BMW-obsessed friend appreciated it). Their caps are different. Looks like they designed the 24v in 5 minutes sad.gif

Now, technically, I have no info except that indeed the 24v is a single-cam engine, and, also, I have the impression one bank of valves (inlet?) uses 1 rocker per valve while the other bank (exhaust?) uses 1 rocker for each 2 valves. On top of this, the inlet manifolds are totally different as u prob. know, technically and aesthetically as well.

regards
George
citroenxm
Jorgy9,

I have a spare 24v engine, will have to remove the cover to see what drives what.

As for Rocker covers they are completely interchangeable!

The only difference between the 12 and 24 v 90 deg IS the design of the inlet manifolds...

The 12v has a single inlet throttle body were as the 24v has twin throttle bodys..

I wouldn't be AT ALL surprised if the manifolds were interchangeable... which gives me an idea...

I wonder if my spre 24v inlet manifold WILL fit one of my 12v engines to fit back into my Green K reg 12v... Hmmmm not that sounds interesting.

Regards
citroenxm
citroenxm
QUOTE (DerekW @ Apr 24 2007, 11:13 AM)
...... and the one in your photo is a 60 degree engine (type ES9J4).

Sorry I can't help with the location of the speed sensor.

Derek

and is also a QUAD cam unit too!!

Driven by a CAM BELT ... OUCH...

Regards
citroenxm
Jan-hendrik
I reckon I can see the flying lead connector below the inlet to the manifold but that's about it. Anyone know where it attaches to the engine and what needs to come out to replace it? Oh it's a late 90 degree engine.

Sorry, I'll be back . . .
Jan-hendrik

It's a 60 degree engine, but never mind that
The procedure to get at the sensor begins like this: Disconnect the battery negative terminal. Drain the cooling system. Remove the throttle housing/air filter duct. Disconnect the gear selection ball joint. etc, etc.
If you are serious about this I can send you the relevant copies from the workshop manual. Alternatively I recommend you lay your hands on a copy of Norrie's CD. This is a must have for all Series 2 owners. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter