Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version 2.5 Coolant Bleed Nipple & Coolant Level Sensor

Club XM Forum > Wanted!
mark
Hi all,

After discovering a large cold patch in the middle if my large radiator when up to temp I removed them from the car to flush.
Strangely the water came out very clean.
Anyway when beeding the system I managed to loose the cap from one of the bleeding points.........."I wonder how much I need to unscrew this........fired into orbit by a powerful jet of water................"
The hose in question runs from the top of the small intercooler radiator box to the bottom of the large radiator and has a bleed point up at the intercooler end, I'm just after the bleed cap but will take the whole hose.

Next thing is the expansion tank level sender unit which turns through 90deg to fit or remove.

Amateur mechanics, don't you love em !?! And here was me considering a cylinder head gasket or engine change !?!

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark.
mackay1
Hi Mark,

Oops! I though I had one in my spares box - but sadly it's different. The one you're looking for looks suspiciously like a tyre valve dust cap. I don't suppose ... ?

Roy
mackay1
That's the XM spares box by the way - you know the one I mean - I think you spell it ... "G A R A G E". Own up guys - you've all got (at least) one of these haven't you?

Roy
techmanagain
Great minds think alike?
mackay1
Hi techmanagain,

Just noticed your's too! The credit goes to you however - 1) you got in first and 2) I only knew from the tip you gave me about using tyre valve extensions to make the bleeding easier.

Cheers

Roy
mark
Thanks guys,

It is the same as a tyre valve cap.

I should have used the old adage "make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth into gear" and tried a valve cap instead of thinking it looked different and not bothering.

I cannot find bleed point #2 on Roys diagram, any ideas ?

I do not have the tool for bleed point 7 on the cylinder block, does this matter or is this the crucial one that causes hot spots around the valves.

Cheers,

Mark.

mackay1
Hi Mark,

The diagram (refill_bleed_02.jpg) on page 2 here:

http://club-xm.com/forum/index.php?showto...l=coolant&st=15

No 7 is a drain plug only (as is No 1) - don't worry about it when refilling if you haven't had it out.

2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 are the ones you need to concern yourself with.

Roy
mackay1
Mark,

No 2 bleed:

user posted image

Lurking away at the back (centre of photo). Hence techmanagain's suggestion of a valve extension to make access easier.

It's not at all clear from the diagram.

Roy
mark
Ok thanks for that, i'm glad you pointed out 1 and 7 are not necessary. Typically 1 is the most difficult to get to as well.

New problem - i've now got the three N/S indicators staying on constantly, ignition on or off !?! any ideas
mackay1
Mark,

You'd be better moving this to the Electrical section now - before Noz gets you!

I'll have a think about your indicators - others may jump in over there.

Roy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter