Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Headlight Failure 1992 Estate

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
stjxs01

Driving through town the other night and as far as I'm aware all lights working (both idiot lights illuminated on the dash). Got onto motorway, still okay as it was well lit. However, when the motorway lighting ended got plunged into darkness - the road literally dissapeared! Very scary.
Managed to pull over onto the hard shoulder and investigate. The following may help you get going rather quicker than it took me - should it happen to you.

Investigation revealed that sidelights, rear lights and mainbeam was working as normal, but it was dip that failed. OK so there must be a relay somewhere that controls it. Try finding that in the dark. Eventually found the offending relay situated at the front of the car - behind the o/s headlight. As it turned out it was not the relay that was at fault but poor contacts where it plugs into the relay socket. Dip beam was restored by wiggling the relay. Managed to continue my journey, and next day gave the contacts a thorough clean. It's been alright ever since.

Jim
Bestbear
QUOTE (stjxs01 @ Jan 22 2005, 08:14 AM)
Driving through town the other night and as far as I'm aware all lights working (both idiot lights illuminated on the dash). Got onto motorway, still okay as it was well lit. However, when the motorway lighting ended got plunged into darkness - the road literally dissapeared! Very scary.
Managed to pull over onto the hard shoulder and investigate. The following may help you get going rather quicker than it took me - should it happen to you.

Investigation revealed that sidelights, rear lights and mainbeam was working as normal, but it was dip that failed. OK so there must be a relay somewhere that controls it. Try finding that in the dark. Eventually found the offending relay situated at the front of the car - behind the o/s headlight. As it turned out it was not the relay that was at fault but poor contacts where it plugs into the relay socket. Dip beam was restored by wiggling the relay. Managed to continue my journey, and next day gave the contacts a thorough clean. It's been alright ever since.

Jim

Thank you very much indeed for this post.

I have just bought an XM prestige, and had exactly the self same problem driving it home last night. Fortunately it was a "braw bricht moonlicht nicht the nicht" and I was able to make the journey following my accompanying Renault Espace closely, using main beam when I had to.

I hope your solution works for me. I'll post again if it does!
Bestbear
biggrin.gif

This worked for me. A very simple fix. Now I have both dipped and main beams.

Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2022 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter