Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Brake Lights (again...)

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
chaseracer
Slightly different problem this time.

I'm getting the 'defective stop lamp' warning - at least it's consistently the left one now! - and amazingly it's true, that brake light IS duff.

But the bulb seems fine dry.gif . Any ideas, anyone?
connecto block at the light cluster was the problem on mine, all looke well on the avo, but not working when plugged in and in use, so i hard wire the thing to the loom, drilling holes in the cluster metal bits and pushing cut wires through, securing with a blob o solder...perfect! and u,ll never see it! wink.gif
Big-Green Balls xm
Hello chaseracer

First of all you will need to find out if you have a live to the light ??

If there is a live, then it`s down to a bad earth or bad contaction on the live side !!

Usual its down to bad contacts on the back plate of the lamp

Once you have tested all of these things and if still no joy then the next thing is to find the wiring and follow it back and keep testing it with a sharp test lamp the ones you get for about 2-3 quid with a point on trying to remember which wire is the break lamp wire or test all

You can also add an extra earth to the light to see if it is just a bad earth conection
All multi plugs should be clean if not clean them and spray with WD40 after

Let us know once you have tryed this (above)

Hope this is some helps

P.S your not on your own mine fails now and then on the other side just contacts bad alot are the same just not had time to look at it yet !! bet your happy your not alone biggrin.gif
rossbell
This might sound like a stupid answer - but I have the same problem, and all it takes to correct is a wee thump on the light in the right place (like Fonzie with the Juke Box)
chaseracer
QUOTE (rossbell @ Dec 7 2004, 20:00 PM)
This might sound like a stupid answer - but I have the same problem, and all it takes to correct is a wee thump on the light in the right place (like Fonzie with the Juke Box)

Ha! laugh.gif

I'll try that first, then if that doesn't work, Mr.Balls' slightly more technical approach wink.gif

Cheers both
Ilapaci
There is a technical note about this problem: the ground connection is too small to serve the rear lights system. Simply disconnect the ground connection from the other cables (they are in a single green large strip under the boot carpet) and connect it directly to the bolt under the optical group (both sides).
After that, clean carefully the lamps base and the lamp holders in the optical groups and in the boot lid. Two hour of works.

If there is no current at the connectors about brake lights, check the switch: it is IN the brake pedal rubber pad and often is faulty.

Sorry for my (poor) english.

Ila
noz
Thanks for the help Ila but there's no need to apologise for your english. We don't have to usual British disease on this forum where it is expected that all non-uk citizens speak perfect english.

Cheers

noz cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2022 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter