Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version 90deg V6 24v Advice

Club XM Forum > Petrol Specific Issues
citroenxm
Hi all V6 24v S1 drivers, and everyone else.

Been finsihing the LPG install on my S1 24v, BUT there seems to be a bad oil leak developing..

Its dripping badly onto the altinator, then onto the bottom engine mount, its NOT the rocker cover gasket an the FRONT bank, so my fear is, the timing chain covers

Is this an IN SITU job, or will i need to remove unit to replace the seal on the chain covers?? Will it be fiddly or B****** fiddly to do??

Regards
citroenxm
UFO
Well the short answer is YES. To remove the timing chain cover you would need to remove front and rear rocker covers which of course entails moving anything attached to them, such as air con and LHM pump. You also need to remove a multitude of 11mm head nuts around the timing chain cover after you have removed the crank shaft nut, top engine mount, water pump etc etc. (I am basing this on having done the r&r of cover a few times on my 12v so it should be very similar)

I suggest that you start by looking for obvious leaks on the cover and perhaps carefully tightening bolts and perhaps there is a product you can use to fill any hole. Are you sure it is not just a leaking seal on the oil cap?

As an example of where and what you have to do, have a look at this page, but you can disregard the section about removing the intake manifold as you would not have to do that rolleyes.gif

http://craigdeb.com/head_gasket.htm
citroenxm
UFO!!

Thats some task!! I'm mighty impressed!!

Yeah the 24v is virtually the same, infact, it uses the same size rocker covers so god knows what its like in side the covers for crowding!

My Air Con is flat at moment, due to a leaky condenser so remove air con pump is not a problem.

What did you use to seal the chain covers back up? Was there a genuine seal available??

Regards
citroenxm
UFO
We used a silicon based sealing compound on all areas such as the TC cover and rocker cover. You just dispense it with a ratchet goo gun like all those other things in a long tube with a nozzle. Be careful as you think you haven't put enough, but it goes a long way and sticks like #$%^ to a blanket. As far as I know there are no gasket sets available and there was goo on the rocker and TC covers when we removed them and the engine had never been worked on since it left the factory - so it must be the Citroen solution too.

Getting the TC cover back on is the most fun as you have to sort of put it on the rear bolt below the AC compressor area then swing the cover down and across. Practice lots before you try it in situ - unless of course you have taken the engine out.

I was working on getting a better presentation of the full story up but some lowlife has hacked the front of my webpage so I am doing nothing new until the service provider fixes it.

BtW - having three aircraft mechanics with an interest in XMs and froggies in general to help was a great benefit! rolleyes.gif
UFO
Also, have a look at this site for more pics of a German 24V which was rebuilt.

Excellent pics, but the site is large and download can be slow

http://rammstein.dfmk.hu/~phoenix/XM-PRV-V624vRebuild/

And another small piece of advice from the learned. DO NOT use the timing ring as a lock point when trying to undo the crankshaft nut. An electric impact gun and a suitable 35mm socket are very good for undoing the crank nut and it is not then necessary to lock the engine. I hired the impact gun for a day to do that job.
David Hallworth
Hi UFO

Ah, crank nut, yea, I'd personally use a Socket on a breaker bar and use the STARTER MOTOR power to crack the nut before ANY dismantleing!!

Then theres no worrying about impact wrenches then...

Thanks for the excellent resources!

Regards
citroenxm
UFO
I've just added a stack of pics and some more descriptions to my photo site. The URL referred to above will disappear in a couple more weeks as I am dumping the Frontpage photoalbum stuff from my website.

See the new pics etc at

http://craigdeb.com/photos/index.php?cat=8
citroenxm
QUOTE (David Hallworth @ Dec 29 2006, 19:56 PM)
Hi UFO

Ah, crank nut, yea, I'd personally use a Socket on a breaker bar and use the STARTER MOTOR power to crack the nut before ANY dismantleing!!

Then theres no worrying about impact wrenches then...

Thanks for the excellent resources!

Regards
citroenxm

Hi ALL

A miss typed sign in for the post from David Hallworth above, it was supposed to be from me, but was signed in on Davids computer before I realised...

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

REGARDS

citroenxm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter