Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Engine Mountings On 2.5td

Club XM Forum > Late 3.0L V6 24V and 2.5TD models
techmanagain
Are we lucky enough to have anyone on these pages who has practical experience in rectifying the problem of the engine of a 2.5TD vibrating on the chassis?
The engine mountings are the obvious suspects, but which one is the likely vital one causing the problem?
Incientally I notice that the large rubber bush in the bottom torque unit has shot up in price from £51.32 +VAT to 60.30 +VAT in the last week!! Somewhere near 20% increase overnight!
Further research reveals that the L/H mount is temporarily out of stock, which indicates to me that it may also have a price increase when new stocks come in.
rowanmoor
Ah, now I think this is the problem I have. Slight judder (feels left/right as opposed to vertical or engine smoothness) under hard acceleration or engine strain like going up hill. Not major, but noticable - more so if you think about it. Enough to anoy and take away from the otherwise briliant ride, but nothing else. Not related in any way to speed, road surface, sphere condition etc - just load. Is that the same problem?

If so then mine has had the problem since I got it, doesn't seem to have got too much worse in the 3 years I ahve run the car - perhaps a little bit but that could just be me looking for it rolleyes.gif

What I do know is that a little while before before I got the car the previous owner had some of the engine mounts replace, and the garage didn't think they needed it at the time (and the problem was still there, so it can't have been the whole cause if any at all). I would have to look up the invoice to see which ones were done.

Will be interested to see if anyone has a solution.
splez4
vibrations?? my 2.5 is as smooth as silk , except when the front is a little to high (cant make its mind up what height setting it wants to be at) if its a little high, ie i can get my fist between the wheel and the front wheel arch, the car wobbles sideways on acceleration, i can feel it thru the pedals, also in third gear ,if i keep hold of the gear stick and verry gently pull back on it it feels like a vibrator, but i cant hear or feel any thing in the car???? terry wacko.gif
Gav
hard to belief we are talking about vibration issues on the superb 2.5 but these comments do sound familiar.

my car has always had this symptom since i got it a few years back. i have assumed it to be the front wheels slightly out of alignment causing vibration when at a particular frequency. For me, this is pulling hard in 1st or 2nd. Nothing substantial but noticable. When the suspension is on the higher mode (not the maintenance mode) its more noticable.

i also used to have a very pronounced knocking under the same acceleration but this turned out to be the exhaust hitting the car just beneath the gear stick.
techmanagain
QUOTE (Gav @ Dec 15 2006, 10:03 AM)

For me, this is pulling hard in 1st or 2nd. Nothing substantial but noticable. When the suspension is on the higher mode (not the maintenance mode) its more noticable.

Thia is symptomatic of a maladjusted height setting. I suggest you get this checked. Front and rear should be the same height, checked by the height at the front and the rear of the seam below the cills under the doors. About 22cm if I remember correctly Please don't attempt to adjust it other than when it's on an overhead ramp.
demag
Add me to the list!

Exactly the same symptoms, pulling in 1st, only for a split second or so. I was wondering about cv joints. But it's so very very slight.

Also I'm fairly convinced I'm stuck in hard mode (err the car that is rolleyes.gif )
So I think that might be adding to the symptoms.
Hopefully I'll check me transistors over the holiday.
techmanagain
I have the feeling that the noise that listers are identifying is related to the setting of the torque absorption mechanism on the R.H side of the engine below the RH mounting, especially as it only seems to be noticeable on take off, which is when the engine can be expected to move against the torque to be anticipated from the taking up of the drive.
There are specific instructions in the Citroen Workshop Manual supplement which deals with the setting up of this unit. A "special tool" is listed for the setting procedure and now that I have obtained this, I shall be getting my local Indie to set my engine torque mechanism precisely to the specification and see what the result is.
I don't want to renew the mountings on the offchance that their failure is the problem; renewal of them all would set me back at over £100!
I shall report back to this forum when the job is completed.
xmexclusive
Hi Techmanagain

Which side is the right side?
Right side of the engine when looking in the bonnet from the front or right side of the engine when sat in the driving seat?

Not noticed any vibration problems on any of my 2.5 XM's but if I cannot tell my left from my right would I notice anyway.

Regards

XMexc
demag
Think I've found the problem on mine. Dozy indie hasn't tightened the o/s engine mtg when he did the belts! I can see the bolts aren't pulled down mad.gif and the belt tensioner looks not right hence squeal. Looks like striking him off the list!
techmanagain
QUOTE (xmexclusive @ Dec 16 2006, 21:03 PM)
Hi Techmanagain

Which side is the right side?
Right side of the engine when looking in the bonnet from the front or right side of the engine when sat in the driving seat?

Not noticed any vibration problems on any of my 2.5 XM's but if I cannot tell my left from my right would I notice anyway.

Regards

XMexc

Can't say it too often; the RH side is relating to the side when you are sitting in the driver's seat. I don't use off-side or nearside because this site has an international membership, and it is also motor trade approved designation to describe from the driver's position to avoid any confusion.
techmanagain
QUOTE (demag @ Dec 17 2006, 18:03 PM)
Think I've found the problem on mine. Dozy indie hasn't tightened the o/s engine mtg when he did the belts! I can see the bolts aren't pulled down mad.gif and the belt tensioner looks not right hence squeal. Looks like striking him off the list!

Re tightening bolts on the RH side mounting. They appear to be loose probably because they were correctly fitted and that's why you do not get the noise that others do. Don't do anything precipitate until you understand how the torque absorption system works!
techmanagain
QUOTE (techmanagain @ Dec 17 2006, 21:36 PM)
QUOTE (demag @ Dec 17 2006, 18:03 PM)
Think I've found the problem on mine. Dozy indie hasn't tightened the o/s engine mtg when he did the belts! I can see the bolts aren't pulled down  mad.gif  and the belt tensioner looks not right hence squeal. Looks like striking him off the list!

Re tightening bolts on the RH side mounting. They appear to be loose probably because they were correctly fitted and that's why you do not get the noise that others do. Don't do anything precipitate until you understand how the torque absorption system works!

If necessary, I can try to send you a copy of the relevant Citroen information on this subject - having just located it for myself!
I'm having a check made on the ramp at my local Indie later in the week and will keep this site informed.
xmexclusive
Hi Techmanagain

Thanks for explaining the handing standards. Something that I did not know.

Regards

XMexc
techmanagain
QUOTE (techmanagain @ Dec 18 2006, 23:13 PM)

Re tightening bolts on the RH side mounting.  They appear to be loose probably because they were correctly fitted and that's why you do not get the noise that others do.  Don't do anything precipitate until you understand how the torque absorption system works!

I'm having a check made on the ramp at my local Indie later in the week and will keep this site informed.

The local Indie has attended to my engine-to-chassis rumblings and tells me that it was evident that the bolt through the clamp at the very front had been hitting the heat shield, so he slackened it and turned it and reported now ok on both acceleration and decelleration. I agree that he was obviously correct on that, but I am not happy with a continuous rumble in normal driving in comparison with my two previous 2.5s. He assures me that he has set up the torque-absorber correctly with the special Citroen tool I lent him, so I don't think that is the trouble.
I shall investigate further.
He says that it may be a softened engine mounting , but at only 92 k I can't see that being the case. I shall not replace any (at about £50 apiece) until I am convinced it is there where the trouble lies.
Anyone scrapping a 2.5TD with engine mountings for sale, please?

Having a slight vibration at 65 mph I also had the front wheel balance checked.
The tyre depot (my trusted one in Rugby) reported that one front tyre was down to 1 mm in places! I had that tyre replaced so that is now sorted and another possible rumble eliminated.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter