Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Immobiliser Woes

Club XM Forum > Late 3.0L V6 24V and 2.5TD models
CitroenCrazy
Greetings all.
Can anyone help with with this one ?
My 1997 2.5 TD estate is completely immobilised.
Every time I switch on the ignition, both red & green LEDs on the keypad light up, indicating "malfunction". Although the keys bleep when pressed, both LEDs stay on & the engine remains immobilised.

History
This started off as an intermittent fault, but has now become permanent. Drove to work last week, parked up; when I came to go home, nothing & that's the way it's stayed, despite some 6 hours of checking wiring etc over the weekend.
I've had the car 5 years & used the same start code from day 1.

Progress so far
I've checked and cleaned the connections on the double relay, the glow plug relay, the keypad and the ECU itself. At one stage, the car would start, but only after prolonged cranking, but I subsequently found that the high-current feed to the glow plugs had broken off. I've fixed that & also re-made all of the underbonnet ground connections (4 beside the battery & 2 beside the ECU). Before I re-did the ones bu the battery, I had 20 ohms from "ground" to the battery negative pole. I was soooo convinced that would fix it, but no luck
I've got a copy of the workshop manual in pdf & checked all the connections as far as possible.

What I'm really hoping for is a list of circumstances that would cause the red+green lights to come on, but not the ECU warning light.

I tried making a code reader (blinking LED type), but didn't even get the initial code 12 out of it. Surely the ECU hasn't quit ?!?! It was fine when I switched off the engine.

xmexclusive
Hi Citcrazy

Two questions: Are you anywhere near me in Hampshire and what is the ORG No of your 2.5TD. I have some spare working 2.5 bits that could be used for testing and working cars to check your ECU/keypad in. I may know how to isolate a keypad but will not put details on the site. The reason for the ORG (4 digit no on passenger door pillar) is that during 1997 Cit changed the 2.5 immobiliser from a single code system to a dual code system. This later system can lock up completely if the main code is not known and attempts are made to change it.

Regards

XMexc
Guest_CitroenCrazy
Hi XMexc, thanks for that.
Sorry, I'm based in the Midlands, so a fair way from Hampshire - though many thanks for the offer.
The ORGA number is 7413, which means manufactured on 24/2/97.
It would be interesting to know which side of the change you mentioned my car falls.

Would you mind emailing me direct, andrew.cox-at-dssp.com regarding the immobiliser trick ?

FWIW I noted down all the details on the ECU this afternoon:

Bosch part number 0 281 001 589
MSA11.L3.17 (model & revision level ??)
96 286 071 80 (presume this is the Citroen part number?)
970 123
28 RTD 000
6142 2389

It's getting to the stage where I will buy another ECU, just to be able to rule that part in or out.

Many thanks for the post anyway - makes me feel less alone :-)

Andrew
xmexclusive
Hi Citcrazy

Just to complete this thread for all to see.

The immobiliser changes took place from ORG 7084.
Owners manuals from XM-GB-5006/2 contain the revised instructions.
The change must have taken place during 1996 as a leaflet (Coded anti-theft device - ADC-97-GB) was issued in March 1996.

Regards

XMexc

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter