Powered by Invision Power Board

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) Resend Validation Email

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Clutch Cable
Xmauritius
Posted: April 30, 2006 07:37 am

Group: Members
Member No.: 291

Hi there all, its bank holiday weekend and i guess allot of you are out fixing the car.

Recently i took the engine and gearbox out of my 2.0i Xm and when refitting it i had some problem with the clutch cable.
My cable has no adjustment on it, at the pedal end it links to the L shaped pivot braket on the bulkhead and on the gearbox its slots in the U shaped hole and held by a clip and then just held by tension on the clutch release lever.

When i put the cable on and then pressed the pedal, it was hard and then it went ping and the pedal went to the floor.
I disconnected the cable again and checked it and it hadn't broken so i put it back on again, but now the pedal goes down with no resistance and the cable is being pulled about a 1 cm but its not enough to move the release arm.

Can the cable stretch?, ive checked under the dashboard and the pedal and everything seems in place, nothing loose or broken.

Does anyone know how to remove the cable from the pivot on the bulkhead, there's a pin do you tap that out?.

I used the same clutch as it still looked good but changed the release bearing.

Rouben.
PMEmail Poster
Peter.N.
Posted: April 30, 2006 03:59 pm

Andre's Mate

Member No.: 78

Sounds as though the auto adjuster on the cable has died, its inside the section with the spring coiled around it near to where it goes through the bulkhead. The elbow on the cable, where the pivot is, is a push fit into a grommet, its quite tight, but, you have to disconnect the inner cable from the pedal, not easy, I had to lie on the florr with my head under the dashboard - unless anyone knows an easier way!

Peter.N.

--------------------
Used to have:

'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695.
'01 'Y' 406 GXL Hdi 110 manual estate silver
'01 C5 estate 2.0. Hdi 110hp manual
Located in Charmouth, Dorset. U.K.

Blower transistors MJ 11015
PMEmail Poster
Xmauritius
Posted: April 30, 2006 09:03 pm

Member No.: 291

Thanks Peter N, i thought this message didn't go so i sent another one as well, i'll try and take the cable off tomorrow and find this auto adjuster in it.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Skin arobase par alphega @ PCentraide 2005 (original)
V1.3 par Elianora la blanche @ La Caverne de la Rose pourpre