Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Xm Locks, How do they come apart!
xmexclusive
Posted: March 09, 2006 11:42 pm

Andre's Mate

Group: Members
Member No.: 144

Hi All

Have been spending a little time on some spare keyless XM locks that were in the spares box. I have failed to find out how to take some of the lock barrels out of their casings.

The two that have beaten me are:

The early MK2 underbonnet alarm isolation lock from its aluminum switch casing.

An Estate tailgate lock from its plastic operating mechanism.

All the rest of the locks both for cars and estates I can dissasemble. At least I have managed to rekey a car boot lock to match the rest of the car locks to make up a full set that I needed urgently. As I eventually want to be able to rekey full lock sets I need to get them all to bits. Any help appreciated.

Regards

XMexc

--------------------
An interest in 2.5TD's.
PMEmail Poster
noz
Posted: March 29, 2006 08:24 pm

Andre's Mate

Member No.: 12

Hi XMexc,

Not sure I totally follow what you mean but when I've taken barrels to bits (as per the 'how to' file in the Self Help Files section) I've put the key in the barrell to get the pawls to withdraw. Once withdrawn the barrel comes out easily enough. However, I've never tried to get the barrell out without the key. Having thought about it a bit more the most likely reason for needing to change the barrels (apart from maintenance) is because you've lost the keys. So if I'm right then you have a conundrum on your hands.

I relise this post is a couple of weeks old but have you made any progress?

Cheers

noz cool.gif

--------------------
'10 '59' C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Tourer Metallic Grey
'97 'P' XM 2.5 TD VSX Saloon RP 6610 Blue
'97 'R' XM 2.5 TD Exclusive Saloon RP 7158 Silver
'88 CX 22TRS Croisette
PMEmail PosterICQAOLYahoo
xmexclusive
Posted: March 31, 2006 12:51 am

Andre's Mate

Hi Noz

Thanks for the reply. You are right it is locks without keys that I am trying to disassemble. I have found it easy to take apart door locks without a key then retumbler them to suit a new key. There seem to be 2 or 3 different types of barrel and some in a lock set are used so infrequently that they are still virtually new. For example the same barrel is used in the glove box lock as in a cars tailgate lock so instead of trying to clean up a seized lock barrel and make it work I just retumbler and fit a virtually new barrel to the lock.
I have picked up a spare car lock set this week so will use a hacksaw on the alarm casing to find out how it is assembled.

Regards

XMexc

--------------------
An interest in 2.5TD's.
PMEmail Poster
xmexclusive
Posted: March 31, 2006 01:03 am

Andre's Mate

Hi Noz

Maybe I did not fully explain that once you have the barrel out of the housing then the tumblers can be dissasembled from the lock without needing a key. If you have a warding set then it is fiddly but possible to retumbler to suit another key.

Regards

XMexc

--------------------
An interest in 2.5TD's.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Skin arobase par alphega @ PCentraide 2005 (original)
V1.3 par Elianora la blanche @ La Caverne de la Rose pourpre