Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) Resend Validation Email

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Re:using Water!
Little&Large
Posted: December 05, 2005 09:36 am

Group: Members
Member No.: 137

Hello all.
It is with great trepidation that I write this post!!! unsure.gif My car has been back on the road since October after little use for several months.I covered 7500 miles in it over the summer and it didn't use any water or oil at all,even on long French Autoroute journeys and Periphique traffic jams!!! tongue.gif
It is now my daily car and has started using a little water. unsure.gif After a journey when the car is parked there will sometimes be a small puddle under the header tank on the ground-not very big but noticeable.The car drives normally at around 72 degrees on the flat at 70mph.It doesn't use any oil and there is no oil in the water.I took the cap off the tank and I have noticed the top brass diaphragm in the top has a split right the way across it and I wonder if this is allowing air in and thus water out via the overflow pipe???Another thought maybe the heater matrix leaking.For the 1st phase of its life I did not use the heater at all and it did not use water,now with the colder weather I am using it and I wonder if this is the cause of the problem.The heater adjustment switch has been by-passed so you can only have it on full.It is a little temperamental with hot air coming out 8/10 times the others being luke warm blasts.The carpets in the car appear to be dry and there is no musty smell when I get into it.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Regards Rob biggrin.gif

--------------------
1958 BMW Isetta 300 RHD with SMITHS SELECTROSHIFT
1938 BMW R35 MOTORCYCLE
1959 CITROEN 2CV AZU Van

Location:Pinner,Middx.St Palais,France & Lausanne,Switzerland...and all points in between!
PMEmail Poster
xmexclusive
Posted: December 05, 2005 11:26 am

Andre's Mate

Member No.: 144

Hi All

A new rad cap is cheap, even from Citroen, will both be the right one and will quickly tell you if your problems are just a defective or wrong pressure cap.

Regards

XMexc

--------------------
An interest in 2.5TD's.
PMEmail Poster
Peter.N.
Posted: December 05, 2005 01:01 pm

Andre's Mate

Member No.: 78

The heater matrix has a full flow of water through it regardless of whether you have the heater on or not, so starting to use it will not make any difference. You will soon know if the matrix is leaking as apart from the mouldy smell, your windscreen will steam up when you put the heater on. Could be the dreaded head gasket but also may well be the faulty cap.

Peter.N.

--------------------
Used to have:

'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695.
'01 'Y' 406 GXL Hdi 110 manual estate silver
'01 C5 estate 2.0. Hdi 110hp manual
Located in Charmouth, Dorset. U.K.

Blower transistors MJ 11015
PMEmail Poster
xmexclusive
Posted: December 05, 2005 10:18 pm

Andre's Mate

Member No.: 144

Hi

The little puddle under the header tank suggests that it is comming from the overflow and is more likely to be the cap. You could of course just keep topping up and see if it gets any worse. I had a weeping rad that lasted me 2 years of weekly topping up without getting much worse.

Regards

XMexc

--------------------
An interest in 2.5TD's.
PMEmail Poster
Little&Large
Posted: December 06, 2005 10:05 am

Member No.: 137

Hi all
I have ordered a new cap from Citroen....£8.57 inluding VAT tongue.gif .Surely one of the cheapest parts they do!!! blink.gif My old cap looks to be the original so the spring may have weakened as well,coupled with the cracked brass gasket on the top.............fingers crossed!! huh.gif I managed to fit 18 Art Deco Cinema seats in it last week....without sitting on 2 and using the front passenger seat area either laugh.gif
Thanks to all for the replies.....I'll keep you posted! rolleyes.gif
Regards Rob

--------------------
1958 BMW Isetta 300 RHD with SMITHS SELECTROSHIFT
1938 BMW R35 MOTORCYCLE
1959 CITROEN 2CV AZU Van

Location:Pinner,Middx.St Palais,France & Lausanne,Switzerland...and all points in between!
PMEmail Poster
Peter.N.
Posted: December 06, 2005 12:12 pm

Andre's Mate

Member No.: 78

My son used to borrow my CX Safari and put his window cleaning ladders inside!

Peter.N.

--------------------
Used to have:

'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695.
'01 'Y' 406 GXL Hdi 110 manual estate silver
'01 C5 estate 2.0. Hdi 110hp manual
Located in Charmouth, Dorset. U.K.

Blower transistors MJ 11015
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Skin arobase par alphega @ PCentraide 2005 (original)
V1.3 par Elianora la blanche @ La Caverne de la Rose pourpre