Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Gas Struts, Regas or Replace
xm_on_a_shoestring
Posted: February 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 575

Hi All
I've just replaced my gas struts on my estate rear tailgate. The company is Derby based, so just down the road for me. They will test your old ones and regas them if poss. Mine were worn down, the Teflon? coating had wore away.

Anyway if they are serviceable, they will regas them for £8.50.
I bought a new pair off them £12.99 each +VAT. I collected mine. Post is about another tenner.

The new ones are ace, the tailgate just lifts on its own the last foot - can't remember the last time it did that ohmy.gif , if at all.

Here's the link:- http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/gas-struts.php

shoestring

--------------------
2001 51 Plate Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 Hdi
Location Derby
PMEmail Poster
Andmcit
Posted: February 03, 2009 03:46 am

Andre's Mate

Member No.: 7

Nice one Henry, really useful link;

it'll be daft things like a tailgate strut replacement that will blight happy Xm ownership!!
Cheers, great to know and actuslly not silly prices either; can't be bad. biggrin.gif

Andrew
PM
robertxmb
Posted: February 03, 2009 11:31 am

Member No.: 184

Thanks, very useful to know. Another one for the XM bookmarks smile.gif

Robert
PMEmail Poster
Aerodynamica
Posted: February 17, 2009 12:43 am

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1251

Hi folks. Upon your recommendation of SGS I'd been in touch with them regarding the possible regassing of the single gas strut on my CX boot lid. I would change it for a new one but being a 1977 car it has a weird older style gas strut that I'd hoped to keep but to restore its performance.

The SGS guy said just to send it so I did and also included a second small lockable gas spring from a reclining chair back. It was a week ago now and having contacted SGS on Thursday to confirm they'd received the struts and again today, I have heard no reply!

I wonder what's going on. I'd have thought they'd have at least said they got them (even if they can't be recharged) I'd prefer to know..

O well..

--------------------
Graeme M
Glasgow, UK

1992 XM SEi TCT manual
1983 CX20 Pallas
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Andmcit
Posted: February 20, 2009 11:06 pm

Andre's Mate

Any further progress Graeme? Are they still in business!!? Are they doing the business?

Andrew
PM
Aerodynamica
Posted: February 21, 2009 12:36 am

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1251

Yes they finally got them - I spoke to them on the phone a few times this week - every time they said they'd phone back - they never did once! - I hate when companies do that!! but they were nice enough AND yes, still in business.

Unfortunately they can't do a CX rear strut but did confirm what I'd thought that the strut from my CX actually has a metal spring inside it!! old school 'DS style' strange!

The other gas strut I'd sent them from an old 'Stoll Giroflex' chair (if that means anything to anyone) was a reclining strut that turned out to be a 'damper' and not a gas strut at all. It is goosed though so I'll be searching for a replacement for that.

--------------------
Graeme M
Glasgow, UK

1992 XM SEi TCT manual
1983 CX20 Pallas
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
rowanmoor
Posted: February 23, 2009 02:39 pm

Double Chevron

Member No.: 367

I emailed them for a price for a few struts - full set for the XM and boot for the 306. They came back to me once to ask for the part numbers from all the struts (I didn't have them to hand when I first emailed) but having sent those details nearly a week ago I haven't heard back since.

I don't think customer service is one of their strong points. I will have to send a chasing email...

--------------------
94M XM 2.5 TD VSX Estate RP 6430 Forest Green
Redhill, Surrey.
PMEmail Poster
Andmcit
Posted: February 23, 2009 03:06 pm

Andre's Mate

At that rate, are they even still in business in these uncertain times!?
The prices originally quoted by shoestring sound fine though.

Andrew
PM
xm_on_a_shoestring
  Posted: March 01, 2009 10:50 pm

Advanced Member

Member No.: 575

Hi All
Their business is a combination of car components and commercial heavy duty hydraulics for commercial vehicles and plant, looking at the details on their vans when I went down to get mine. (As it's only on the door step for me).

I would guess that they go out on site a lot. The car components could be a relatively new service and more of a side line. It was like fort knox to get in the place, I had to wait 10 mins before I got let in. (Short staffed springs to mind).

Anyway, I fitted my new ones and they lift like I've never experienced since I've had the car.

If it helps I can always send an email, as I did mention I would "spread the word" on the forum, to get him to "speed up" on his email replies.

shoestring

--------------------
2001 51 Plate Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 Hdi
Location Derby
PMEmail Poster
rowanmoor
Posted: March 02, 2009 03:00 pm

Double Chevron

Member No.: 367

I chased on Thursday and haven't had a reply yet. I put a read receipt on it this time and have not yet had a response, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been read as many clients allow you to block the read receipt. I did get a delivery receipt. It could just be that the person dealing with it is on holiday, but there is no out of office reply.

--------------------
94M XM 2.5 TD VSX Estate RP 6430 Forest Green
Redhill, Surrey.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Skin arobase par alphega @ PCentraide 2005 (original)
V1.3 par Elianora la blanche @ La Caverne de la Rose pourpre