Powered by Invision Power Board

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) Resend Validation Email

2 Pages:12 ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Our 'elderly Lady'
peterh
Posted: November 15, 2008 11:03 am

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1424

Elderly when compared to my wife's car... a two year old Renault Clio, which is 'her puppy dog'.

user posted image

A 2000 2.1 TD automatic, with 200.000 miles on it, in brilliant nick. I just bought her this week.

ps: I know that the rims are not original... I intend to change that!

This post has been edited by peterh on November 15, 2008 04:40 pm

--------------------
user posted image
2000 XM Berline 2.1 TD Automatic
PMEmail Poster
ThwartedEfforts
Posted: November 15, 2008 01:56 pm

Member No.: 1397

I think we're all agreed that silver is probably the best colour... next to the colour of our own cars of course laugh.gif

Looks a nice car, and 'proper' wheels will of course help. Any pics of the interior?

Regards Phil.

--------------------
97 'R' XM 2.0i SX Saloon Auto
92 'J' XM 2.1 D Saloon Manual
08 08 C5 II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Tourer Auto
07 57 C1 1.4 HDi Rhythm
PMEmail Poster
dean
Posted: November 15, 2008 03:54 pm

Andre's Mate

Member No.: 852

Hi Peterh

The one advantage of big, open alloys as you have there is unlike everyone else, you dont have to take the wheels off to change the rear pads or bleed the brakes wink.gif biggrin.gif.........very handy.
Very nice looking car btw, and they dont get any newer either!

Regards
D

--------------------
92 xm 20i prestige auto (modified)R.P 5678
96 Xantia Activa (modified)
location-Isle of wight
PMEmail Poster
peterh
Posted: November 15, 2008 10:36 pm

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dean @ Nov 15 2008, 14:54 PM)
Hi Peterh

The one advantage of big, open alloys as you have there is unlike everyone else, you dont have to take the wheels off to change the rear pads or bleed the brakes wink.gif biggrin.gif.........very handy.

This is true.

However, if I would've wanted a car that is easy to work on, I might as well have gotten myself a Toyota HiLux. This I will not do. So there. wink.gif

I want the XM for its looks and its ride comfort.
I *really* want the CX, actually. Preferably the one with the steel grille and bumpers, and the mad DIRAVI steering and the hyperactively responsive brake pedal, and the non-self-cancelling indicators and the Evil Eye speedo and the dash that looks like the Starship Enterprise on steroids.
The fact that a CX like that is a money pit doesn't scare me away... but the certainty that, once my wife would've taken two corners in that car, and would've hit the brakes once, I would've been better off being on the phone with a divorce lawyer, does. wink.gif

And (let's face it, Peter Aitch): I find that the DS was the best-looking Citroën ever made. But for me, the XM is prettier than the CX. I like the angular lines, and I admire that "band of glass" that completely separates the coach from the roof. For that reason only, I think that silver grey is THE colour for this design. Any colour darker than that destroys this band of glass.
So, while on the inside, the CX is more patently bonkers than the XM, the XM gives me a better "kerb feeling". And it's still a veeeeryyyy pleasant car to drive.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Andmcit
Posted: November 15, 2008 11:05 pm

Andre's Mate

Member No.: 7

...prettier than a Cx!!! blink.gif

Well, I guess if we all liked the same things we'd all be bored owning identical things!!

I know what you mean about the bubble roof separated by the ribbon of glass on the Xm though!
Not many cars can look quite so striking in the right light - you'd have to concede the glasshouse is
sadly unnecessarily complicated by the fussy bands between the different glazing sections - oh for
flush pillarless glass - it would be perfect then!

Snap by the way: biggrin.gif

user posted image

user posted image

(I don't know whether to call these "Beauty & The Beast", or "So Much for Progress...?"
The Puggly isn't mine I hasten to add - a visitor passing through and I couldn't resist the
comparison pic...

Andrew

This post has been edited by Andmcit on November 15, 2008 11:07 pm
PM
peterh
Posted: November 15, 2008 11:26 pm

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andmcit @ Nov 15 2008, 22:05 PM)
...prettier than a Cx!!!  blink.gif

Well, I guess if we all liked the same things we'd all be bored owning identical things!!

I did say "to my tastes", or something, right? wink.gif

I still do, though. From a purely aesthetical point of view, I always found the CX exterior a watered-down version of the SM, which will remain my out-of-my-league dream car forever. It is a stunning car, so much is sure, but it doesn't have the obnoxious, in-your-face-angular individuality of the XM.

When it comes to interior, it's a different story altogether. Compared to the CX (the one with the Starship Enterprise dash and the spherical ashtray) the XM's interior is positively bland. However, compared to an Audi, the XM's interior is a feast. So there.

The fact that Citroën had the sense of keeping the pillars black, blending in with the glass panes (especially on a silver or white XM) works well, don't you think?

And don't get me started on the 407SW. I find it hard to imagine that someone was paid to design that vulture. I'd rather have an Octavia - at least, an Octavia doesn't TRY to look good.

This post has been edited by peterh on November 15, 2008 11:46 pm

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Andmcit
Posted: November 16, 2008 01:52 am

Andre's Mate

Member No.: 7

QUOTE (peterh @ Nov 15 2008, 22:26 PM)
The fact that Citroën had the sense of keeping the pillars black, blending in with the glass panes (especially on a silver or white XM) works well, don't you think?

Well, it's sad they're there at all knowing the doors and windows of a Xantia of the same era
are bigger and have less panes - how difficult must it be for careful design to cancel out double
curvature problems for opening windows. The problem with the blackened pillar strips is they
don't stay black but go silver or purpley grey and actually stand out more prominently... mad.gif

Andrew
PM
peterh
Posted: November 16, 2008 09:23 am

Advanced Member

True.

But then again, on the Xantia (and actually on most every modern car other than an XM), the A and C pillars are wider, which is a trend driven by passive safety requirements.
There are two problems with that. First, the pillars, if too wide, break the band of glass, and second, in a modern car, even the A pillars are sometimes so wide that they can hide entire cars coming your way.

The early Bertone sketches for the XM showed much larger panes of glass. It may well be that Citroen decided that, in order to maintain structural rigidity, they had to improve the number of strips and reduce the pane size. Getting an aesthetically good design on the road invariably leads to compromises.

Having said that, Bertone DID do a stellar job in getting all the strips at exactly the right angle.

The problem with the blackened pillar strips is they
don't stay black but go silver or purpley grey and actually stand out more prominently...

Hmm... I have yet to see an example of that. Mine doesn't show any of this.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
bitontheside
Posted: November 16, 2008 09:49 am

Advanced Member

Member No.: 500

Nice looking car Peter - I actually like those wheels! smile.gif

--------------------
1996 SX16v Auto. Maroon
RP 6605
Ellesmere Port, Cheshire

Now sadly gone to the great scrappy in the sky! And I now want another one as all of my winter projects are finished!
PMEmail Poster
Citroenmad
Posted: November 18, 2008 06:41 pm

Double Chevron

Member No.: 1226

QUOTE (peterh @ Nov 15 2008, 21:36 PM)
[QUOTE=dean,Nov 15 2008, 14:54 PM] Hi Peterh
I think that silver grey is THE colour for this design. Any colour darker than that destroys this band of glass.

Lets not forget white! cool.gif

Very nice to have a late model, its in a great colour too.

I agree with the window band, its one of the things i really like about the xms styling.

What rims are you wanting for it? Xm ones? Youes look a little Honda like, although probably oz or somethng similar.

Very nice cool.gif

--------------------
1995 'N' XM 2.1TD VSX Manual Estate, magenta red - 62K miles
1998 'S' S1 Xantia Activa - silver
2006 '56' C5 2.0HDi 138 16v Hatch
PMEmail Poster
dean
Posted: November 18, 2008 07:22 pm

Andre's Mate

If im not wrong they are 'Rial', i bought a set for my Honda CRX Del Sol a couple of years ago biggrin.gif

D

--------------------
location-Isle of wight
PMEmail Poster
steelcityuk
Posted: November 18, 2008 07:49 pm

Double Chevron

Member No.: 388

Nobody asked but my favourite look is the white hatch with black trim. It sort of reminds me of NASA and Saturn V rockets.

Shame my white one had been so abused.

Steve.

--------------------
XM 2.1 SED - RP5876
Prius T Spirit
-
MB A170 CDi
XM S2 2.0 TCT LPG Exclusive Hatch RP6654
C5 HDi110 Exclusive
XM S2 2.5 VSX Estate
XM S2 2.1 VSX Hatch
Xantia HDi Exclusive
405 GTX TD
PMEmail Poster
Citroenmad
Posted: November 18, 2008 07:54 pm

Double Chevron

Member No.: 1226

White is of course the best Xm colour!

(disclaimer - unless its an exclusive, all that white is a little too much!)

--------------------
1995 'N' XM 2.1TD VSX Manual Estate, magenta red - 62K miles
1998 'S' S1 Xantia Activa - silver
2006 '56' C5 2.0HDi 138 16v Hatch
PMEmail Poster
dean
Posted: November 18, 2008 07:59 pm

Andre's Mate

I think you will find the best XM colour is of course metalic burgandy actually laugh.gif wink.gif

D

--------------------
location-Isle of wight
PMEmail Poster
terry g
Posted: November 18, 2008 10:55 pm

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1165

bugundy, yes the best colour, my old S1 was a darker red but whith gold and bronze shades on a late afternoon sun

--------------------
XM 2.5Td exclusive, doom maroon green nose and bumper (bin wagon) soon to have a silver rear bumper (pug 306)
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options2 Pages:12 Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Skin arobase par alphega @ PCentraide 2005 (original)
V1.3 par Elianora la blanche @ La Caverne de la Rose pourpre