Powered by Invision Power Board

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) Resend Validation Email

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Blimmin' Citroens
SamWise1972
Posted: June 20, 2008 01:57 pm

Group: Members
Member No.: 1162

As most of you know, I've got two of the blighters, an AX diesel and an XM 2.1 TD. Both great cars, with a bit of style, standing out from the crowd, cheap to buy, and super cheap to run. There has to be a catch, right?

Currently, the AX has a wheel bearing going, the rear windows won't open, but other than that, everything works. It benefits from not having too much that's electrical, I think.

The XM has another failed ignition, meaning we're still hotwiring it, and needs a relay put in. The stereo has stopped picking up anything but local radio and Radio 4, it won'#t even find my Itrip anymore. The boot intermittently fails to open. The fuel gauge works only 10% of the time. The sunroof has never worked. Some of these things are irritations more than anything, but as much as I've always known it, it still amazes me that such an innovative company could make such a poor job of quality on their cars!

I'm suffering extreme Citroen frustration, loving driving them, loving the fuel consumption, but lacking the time or expertise to deal with the continual electrical problems properly. Argh!

--------------------
1966 Triumph Herald convertible with big valve twin carb Spitfire head
1973 Bedford Panorama Elite II Bus
1994 2.1td Citroen XM hatch - maroon!
1992 Citroen AX 1.4D

Comin' straight outta Southampton
PMEmail Poster
minijet
Posted: June 20, 2008 08:09 pm

Double Chevron

Member No.: 998

If it's any consolation Sam, you're not alone. I'm in a constant state of 'Citroen (should that be Shitroen) frustration'.
Just keep telling (kidding) yourself that you wouldn't be any better off with a Ford, Vauxhall, Nissan, Toyota, BMW, Volkswagon, Skoda, Trabant, etc..........
XM's do have their good point though............they're cheap (or they were not long ago......before scrap metal prices went up)..........

--------------------
94M 2.0 Turbo Exclusive auto hatch, Green, RP 6552

94M 2.1 TD Exclusive auto hatch, Green, RP 6427

94M 2.0 Turbo SX auto hatch, White, RP 6430
PMEmail Poster
Andmcit
Posted: June 20, 2008 08:20 pm

Andre's Mate

Member No.: 7

Frustrations and niggles are better than serious calamities and the answer with them is to
bite the bullet and get their vices sorted - ask Shane if he's interested in doing online evening
classes with a webcam...

Ignition - yep that's a pain - they do pop up now and then on ebay so just keep a look out;
same for radio's and instrument clusters or fuel senders (some new!!). I've found the boot
catch has this annoying habit that requires removal of the boot lining and working in some
grease into the rods and catch mechanism. If you press down on the tailgate it helps when
you try the external catch - crazy but effective...

You'll have to live with the sunroof situation - in my experience, only 1 in 4 works TOTALLY
and correctly, and it's actually the key criteria in buyer check list when looking at a prospective
purchase - yes really!!

Andrew
PM
Ciaran
Posted: June 21, 2008 12:52 am

Andre's Mate

Member No.: 222

I know what you mean guys. I go through periods of frustration with mine (I'm sure we all do from time to time), and sometimes it just seems like its one fault after another. In fact I just recently had a run of this over the past 8 weeks... if it wasn't one car acting up, it was the other. I got so pissed off, especially when my back injury flared up again and I found it very difficult to work on them, but that's life. Its happened before, and I'm sure it'll happen again.

HOWEVER... nothings more gratifying than when you finally get the niggly things sorted, and the beast is behaving as it should. Would you really feel anywhere near as good after having fixed your Mondeo / Vectra / 3 Series? Really? laugh.gif

I personally find it very satisfying when I'm blasting down the road in *that* seat, throwing around *that* steering wheel, even if I'm tired, covered in oil etc after having tackled a particularly annoying fault.

In all honesty, any car of this age and specification is going to have problems from time to time. Ok, so the XM's electrical system does let it down in places, however once you've tamed it and know it's little foibles, its not half as bad as you might imagine. Despite this, these cars are still incredibly well constructed and give great longevity of cared for well.

Don't give up, there's light at the end of the tunnel, and every little fault rectified is one less smile.gif

Chin up lads, the cars are worth it! laugh.gif

Ciarán

This post has been edited by Ciaran on June 21, 2008 12:55 am

--------------------
'95 XM 2.1TD VSX Hatch: RP 6429. Rare green ;-)
'90 XM 2.0 SEI Hatch: RP 4832 - 'Gandalf the grey'
'95 Xantia 1.9TD SX Hatch: RP ????. Black - 'Darth Vader'. Will be MOT'd
'95 Xantia 1.9TD SX Hatch: RP ????. Blue - Utterly fooked

Location: Outskirts of Belfast in the sunny north of Ireland...
PMEmail Poster
Ciaran
Posted: June 21, 2008 12:59 am

Andre's Mate

Member No.: 222

As a PS, Sam, just put the ignition relay in. It'll take half an hour maximum* (I can't remember if I did you a diagram last time), and afterwards you'll be so glad you did it, as there'll be no more faffing about with jump leads laugh.gif

*Arguably less time than changing the ignition switch.

Ciarán

--------------------
'95 XM 2.1TD VSX Hatch: RP 6429. Rare green ;-)
'90 XM 2.0 SEI Hatch: RP 4832 - 'Gandalf the grey'
'95 Xantia 1.9TD SX Hatch: RP ????. Black - 'Darth Vader'. Will be MOT'd
'95 Xantia 1.9TD SX Hatch: RP ????. Blue - Utterly fooked

Location: Outskirts of Belfast in the sunny north of Ireland...
PMEmail Poster
John Malkovich
Posted: June 23, 2008 01:04 pm

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1214

Re: stereo not picking up anymore
Check if the antenna jack has fallen off. It is on a rather stiff and short cable and pulling the radio out just a couple of inches will likely cause the cable to disconnect.

--------------------
XM 3.0 V6 Exclusive 1997 RP 6591
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Skin arobase par alphega @ PCentraide 2005 (original)
V1.3 par Elianora la blanche @ La Caverne de la Rose pourpre