Powered by Invision Power Board

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) Resend Validation Email

2 Pages:12 ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> "christine" And The Aa Man (update 3)
Bantam
Posted: March 06, 2008 11:25 am

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1217

Well the car certainly got's it name today.
I opened the door to get the bonnet open,popped the key in the ignition,went round the passenger side before i could make it the door shut the central locking locked all the doors and boot ohmy.gif

Now i dont need the car today so i'm calling the AA tomorrow.Unless anyone knows of a magical way in...I dont have another Key and dont like thew sound of breaking glass.

Will he(she) be able to get the key out of the ignition ? Will he be able to get in ?

Will damage my door ?

Thinking about this all the internal push down door thingys are broken so as this happened before ?

Off to work now, need a good day because "Christine's" really made me mad.gif

This post has been edited by Bantam on March 15, 2008 12:16 pm

--------------------
Xm - 1996 2.1TD Series 2 Hatch
PMEmail Poster
wirdy
Posted: March 06, 2008 12:06 pm

Double Chevron

Member No.: 411

I was in a similar situation a month ago but my engine was running too ohmy.gif

The recovery man used a plastic wedge on the drivers door frame that sits next to the B pillar which flexed the door frame out by about 5mm. Then he put an inflatable pillow in the crack and pumped it up until there was just enough room to get a wire rod in. The door unlock button pulled straight off when he got the rod under it so then he just got on to the elec window buttons instead.

You're in a different position as your windows won't work without the ignition on but by getting a rod onto your door opening handle and pulling it the central locking will unlock also.

Hope that helps.

--------------------
'99 'V' XM 2.0 CT VSX Auto Estate RP 8360 Green.
'97 'R' XM 2.0 CT VSX Auto Saloon RP 7480 Blue.
'96 'P' XM 2.0 16v Man Saloon RP 7176 Magenta.

Fife, Scotland.
PMEmail Poster
Jan-hendrik
Posted: March 06, 2008 01:37 pm

Double Chevron

Member No.: 716

I know this is not going to help you a lot right now, but my dad always used to carry a spare key in his wallet. I've done the same for more than 40 years now, but never needed it because 1) I've always locked all the cars I've owned with the key, and 2) the central locking on my XMs haven't played any tricks on me yet dry.gif
Hope you'll be in control soon again smile.gif

--------------------
2000 XM 3.0 V6 24v Exclusive Auto 70k km (LHD; ORGA 8569)
Green (the colour that is)

PMEmail Poster
minijet
Posted: March 06, 2008 02:36 pm

Double Chevron

Member No.: 998

I did exacty the same thing a few days ago, but with the engine running ohmy.gif .

Did I panic?.......Yes ohmy.gif .

I was about to break one of the windows...........

But then I remembered that one of the rear passenger windows wasn't working and tended to slip down occasionally.
I managed to force the window down enough to reach in and open the door cool.gif .

For once I was thankfull for the unreliable electric window mechanisms that Citroen chose to fit to their cars smile.gif .

But I'm not thankfull for the wierd central locking system that locks behind you for no reason when you get out of the car mad.gif (I do keep a spare key with me, it was in my jacket............inside the car sad.gif ).

--------------------
94M 2.0 Turbo Exclusive auto hatch, Green, RP 6552

94M 2.1 TD Exclusive auto hatch, Green, RP 6427

94M 2.0 Turbo SX auto hatch, White, RP 6430
PMEmail Poster
Jan-hendrik
Posted: March 06, 2008 03:42 pm

Double Chevron

Member No.: 716

(I do keep a spare key with me, it was in my jacket............inside the car sad.gif ).

I had to laugh when I read this. You need another spare, permanently strapped around your waist, or how about a gilded one on a chain around your neck biggrin.gif

--------------------
2000 XM 3.0 V6 24v Exclusive Auto 70k km (LHD; ORGA 8569)
Green (the colour that is)

PMEmail Poster
kiwi
Posted: March 06, 2008 06:04 pm

Advanced Member

Member No.: 86

The remote on my 2.0sei refused to unlock the car late one night after work, and the key just spun in the locks, so the next day the AA man came and opened the door with the little inflatable cushion / wire etc. Only took him a couple of minutes, and there was no damage to the doors etc.

I later found that the front passengers door wasn't locking properly - if I pulled the handle all the way out it would open the door, even though the lock inside the car was in the down position. Some CRC fixed that, and liberal amounts of CRC in the locks fixed that problem. If you do have any problems with the key spinning in the locks - a common problem - there is excellent advice in the self-help section. If I'm traveling any distance, I always take a spare key with me.

Good luck - and welcome to the 'locked out of our XMs' fraternity!

Regards,
Kiwi

--------------------
XM 2.1TD Auto RP 6632
XM V6 Auto RP 5338 with a bad headache
XM 2.0 sei Manual RP 5062
ZX 1.4
Wolseley 15/50
Several other wheeled things

Turitea Valley, Palmerston North
New Zealand
PMEmail Poster
colinxm
Posted: March 06, 2008 09:27 pm

Member No.: 100

Pop out the number plate illumination lamps in the tailgate this will give you access to the "rods" that operate the central locking on the tailgate. Using long nose plyers you will be able to operate them, the tailgate will unlock and in you get biggrin.gif

Good luck, Colin.P

--------------------
Colin.P.
Jørpeland, Norway
1995 2.1TD silver estate, Rp 6723
1979 Triumph TR7 convertable
1998 Ford Puma (the wife's)
1989 Peugeot 205 cabriolet (the son's but I have to fix it...)
2004 Peugeot 307SW (another one for the missus)
PMEmail PosterYahoo
aengus-xmv6
Posted: March 06, 2008 10:06 pm

Member No.: 622

ah that's a handy trick, never thought of that one.

What I found with my first XM that did this regularly was that it was water getting into the roof control panel, which is where the IR receiver is located, causing intermittent triggering.

Check the sealing of the roof aerial and reseal, also the mounting screws of the sunroof motor and the sunroof drains are clear to reduce chance of this in future.

Of course, if your's has the redio remote rather than IR, probably a different cause, as I think the receiver for that is under the glovebox? Wiring in the roof panel is still there though, I think, so just may still be connected and influence the locking unit (which is under the dash above the drivers right foot on RHD cars).

regards
Dave

--------------------
G-reg XM V6SEi saloon, light blue, RP4764
Plus a load of S1 V6 spares in the garage!

Previous cits:
XM 2.0SEi auto (H)
XM 2.0SEi manual (J)
BX19 GTi

Essex
PMEmail Poster
Bantam
Posted: March 06, 2008 10:36 pm

Advanced Member

Well back home from work now and great to see the replies.....COLIN P thats just what i was looking for i'll give that try before i call the AA man.

Thanks to everyone with regard to the AA process and how he gets in.

I'll let you all know Friday how i get on but the car has now got a name.

Cheers everyone for helping.

This post has been edited by Bantam on March 06, 2008 10:36 pm

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
wirdy
Posted: March 06, 2008 11:35 pm

Double Chevron

QUOTE (colinxm @ Mar 6 2008, 20:27 PM)
Pop out the number plate illumination lamps in the tailgate this will give you access to the "rods" that operate the central locking on the tailgate. Using long nose plyers you will be able to operate them, the tailgate will unlock and in you get biggrin.gif

Thanks Colin - your post exemplifies the sort of off-the-wall knowledge that is invaluable. smile.gif

--------------------

Fife, Scotland.
PMEmail Poster
Bantam
  Posted: March 07, 2008 11:17 am

Advanced Member

Well now i'm really stuck...............

To Colin.P well i was up at the crack of dawn this morning removed the number plate lights but couldn't find any "Rods" at all in the moulding ?

Got my torch out to double check..nothing,poked around with a long screw driver listening for a DING of metal,nothing to be heard ?

Rang the AA "Sorry sir we cant assist you today as you are not 1/4 of a mile from home"

But we can upgrade your policy for an extra sixty six pounds and your car could be damaged trying to get at the key mad.gif

What a carry on.

HELP wacko.gif

This post has been edited by Bantam on March 07, 2008 11:41 am

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
wirdy
Posted: March 07, 2008 12:08 pm

Double Chevron

QUOTE (Bantam @ Mar 7 2008, 10:17 AM)
Well now i'm really stuck...............

HELP wacko.gif

Time to get a door wedge and a piece of strong wire then?

or a local garage - although I am with the RAC, it was a local garage truck that attended my KLIC.

Noticed this as a tick box on the breakdown sheet KLIC - 'Keys Locked In Car' tongue.gif

--------------------

Fife, Scotland.
PMEmail Poster
robertxmb
Posted: March 07, 2008 12:20 pm

Member No.: 184

While I am not familiar with the degree of access afforded by the apparently great idea, I assume it involves the removal of the lamp holders which then gives access to the cavity with enough freedom to get at the rods with long nosed pliers. I know there are some lock variants that may have different actuating rod layouts. Perhaps you could try a stiff fish wire with a U on one end to locate the rod then twist to get a grip on rod and move. There is not much rod resistance in operation of lock.
If that doesn't work it may be feasible to remove number plate and drill a hole at a suitable location closer to the action. If someone with the same model and year as yours can check on feasibility and where to drill hole or provide a photo of the rear of panel with trim removed. Only an idea, hope it may help.

Robert.
PMEmail Poster
Bantam
Posted: March 07, 2008 01:21 pm

Advanced Member

Thanks for that Robert i make the hook right away and go have a try.

Car is a 97' Series 2 Hatch

Cheers

*** Update ***

Made the hook nothing at all to feel in the tail section either by the handle of the boot lock.

I did manage to wedge the door tops open and get my wire down to the PUSH LATCH's i slowly pulled up the latch's with my coat hanger wire and guess what the latch's came up and fell off sad.gif
Same for the passenger side.

I dont want to break a window anyone any other idea's ?

Cheers

This post has been edited by Bantam on March 07, 2008 03:56 pm

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
colinxm
Posted: March 07, 2008 07:05 pm

Member No.: 100

Hi Bantam, Sorry about that, worked fine on my old 1990 2.0 SEI - not easy but possible.
Perhaps Citroen changed the tailgate design on the later cars as this was common knowledge in certain circles a few years ago...

Colin.P

--------------------
Colin.P.
Jørpeland, Norway
1995 2.1TD silver estate, Rp 6723
1979 Triumph TR7 convertable
1998 Ford Puma (the wife's)
1989 Peugeot 205 cabriolet (the son's but I have to fix it...)
2004 Peugeot 307SW (another one for the missus)
PMEmail PosterYahoo
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options2 Pages:12 Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Skin arobase par alphega @ PCentraide 2005 (original)
V1.3 par Elianora la blanche @ La Caverne de la Rose pourpre