Powered by Invision Power Board

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) Resend Validation Email

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> What Year To Choose, Which Gearbox?, wanna buy a XM!
dutch-xm
  Posted: December 23, 2004 01:03 pm

Group: Members
Member No.: 113

Hi,
I'm new to this site and eager to buy a XM. Can you advice me which type (year of make) is best? I'm also considering to have an automatic. Is this wise? What reputation do the auto-gearboxes of the XM have?

Thanks!
PMEmail Poster
Posted: December 23, 2004 02:58 pm

Unregistered

Hello dutch-xm

Here is a link to look at http://www.club-xm.com/html/links.html
Tells you about buying an XM and running one

If you don`t know about Citroens then get someone who dose dont buy the first one you see look at a few and only then make your mind up

there is alot of bad ones out there unless owned by a XM nut
I myself dont think service history in needed as long as you know your XM`s
As long as you are willing to spend some money on one then it is ok

All of them need somethng doing at them or it would not be an XM

I just go my last one with high mileage runs like a dream no service history at all
odd electrical fault (as all do) Auto box very good ZF box`s are very good and are put in lots of different cars , as long as oil is change at least once a year the not much probs

dutch-xm
Posted: December 24, 2004 10:51 am

Thnx guest!
Are all auto-XM's equiped with a ZF-box? I know they're good, I've got on in my Rover P5 (had it put in to get a fourth gear).

There is a company in Holland that imports fairly young XM's from France. I've asked them to look for young diesel-XM. I don't mind if the car is damaged cosmeticly.

Cheers
PMEmail Poster
dutch-xm
Posted: December 24, 2004 10:54 am

I forgot to ask: is there a year of make in which most of the XM-problems are cured? I'm now looking for an XM not older than '98. Don't know which mk this is...
PMEmail Poster
chaseracer
Posted: December 24, 2004 11:15 am

Member No.: 94

QUOTE (dutch-xm @ Dec 24 2004, 09:54 AM)
I forgot to ask: is there a year of make in which most of the XM-problems are cured? I'm now looking for an XM not older than '98. Don't know which mk this is...

That would be a late Series2 and no, I don't think the XM was ever fully 'sorted'! wink.gif

The earlier comment about the car's err.... shall we say, idiosyncrasies?.... being part of its appeal was spot-on. You do need to be prepared to put a bit more into the car than a EuroBox, but it's worth it.

Mine is an March 1990 S1 2.0Si auto (ZF 4HP-18 box), possibly the earliest in daily use in the UK (??), clocking up 15000 miles a year; reliability is not an issue if you look after it.

Hope you find a good one - enjoy it! cool.gif

--------------------
Used to have:
90G 2.0Si auto RP4868
93K 2.0i Prestige auto RP5665

Now have:
The ever-present 82Y Dyane RP1899, 03/53 Berlingo RP never looked... and lots and lots of XM spares...

I'm in Heath Hayes, Staffordshire
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Skin arobase par alphega @ PCentraide 2005 (original)
V1.3 par Elianora la blanche @ La Caverne de la Rose pourpre