Powered by Invision Power Board

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) Resend Validation Email

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> S1 Windscreen Replacement
paulstringer
Posted: January 02, 2018 10:50 am

Group: Members
Member No.: 1285

So a slightly disappointing start to the New Year. After a non eventful fun drive to Norfolk in the XM for the New Year. during the trip my wife sat in the passenger seat remarked on a bloody great crack from the edge of the windscreen down into the windscreen wiper area.

No idea where it came from, no sound. Seems fairly superficial as can barely feel it, however it's very noticeable to the eye.

So first job of 2018 reveals itself, literally. I'm having a local glass repair company come and do what they can to prevent it getting worse. If it's not an MOT fail I may live with it. If not I'll be needing a a whole new windshield before Oct.

Any out there?

PMEmail Poster
Peter.N.
Posted: January 02, 2018 01:01 pm

Andre's Mate

Member No.: 78

You should be able to get it replaced by a windscreen firm for just the windscreen excess on your insurance, I believe they can make windscreens for anything now.

Peter

--------------------
Used to have:

'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695.
'01 'Y' 406 GXL Hdi 110 manual estate silver
'01 C5 estate 2.0. Hdi 110hp manual
Located in Charmouth, Dorset. U.K.

Blower transistors MJ 11015
PMEmail Poster
paulstringer
Posted: January 03, 2018 11:25 am

Really? That's good to know. I'll check in with the insurers and see what they advise. I had no idea you could just make these things up.
PMEmail Poster
paulstringer
Posted: June 02, 2018 12:38 pm

Well after getting it sealed, it’s start d to get bigger. Seeings as auto glass think they have a replacement I’ve booked it in. My only suspicions is it seems to good to be true they just so happen to have one in stock. NOS or will it be some ill fitting generic thing.
PMEmail Poster
xmexclusive
Posted: June 02, 2018 10:16 pm

Andre's Mate

Member No.: 144

We think there is a stock of five new ones in the country.
They are most likely to have to reuse your existing trim.
Recovery of that is where problems can arise.
Check to see that the fitter knows this before he rips the old trim off.

John

--------------------
An interest in 2.5TD's.
PMEmail Poster
paulstringer
Posted: June 26, 2018 09:42 pm

Thankyou. It’s arrived in stock and they’re coming in Friday. I’ll be in close attendance. Which trim is it, the plastic that sits at each side to watch for?
PMEmail Poster
xmexclusive
Posted: June 27, 2018 08:35 am

Andre's Mate

Member No.: 144

Hi paulstringer

While the screen is the same there are trim differences between car and estate.
The top sections vary, thin on a car, wide on an estate.
The car top section can be replaced with a standard transit trim that most fitters carry.
The estate top one needs very gentle removal or its metal stiffening makes it roll up in a spiral preventing reuse.
The side trims are identical but are only held in place with a little plastic "U" section.
This U clips into the back of the trim and over thin metal hooks on the chassis.
The plastic U section will be brittle from age and can fall to pieces.
If insecure side trims can get shed and lost.
If glued without removing all the U plastic the trim often fails to seat properly.
It can end up as gaping trim but "glue set now, thats the best we can do".

John

This post has been edited by xmexclusive on June 27, 2018 08:37 am

--------------------
An interest in 2.5TD's.
PMEmail Poster
paulstringer
Posted: July 08, 2018 12:58 pm

AutoGlass made their visit today. Their Windscreen itself looked great, Pilkington, nice green tint with the dark pattern around the edges so that’s one worry out the way.

When it came to the side trims these seemed fairly straightforward and he was pretty confident he could make them good although we only got as far with the outer side trims.

When looking at the top trim the guy didn’t want to go there. He said there wasn’t anyway he could keep it off and on the new window in a good condition. The moment he started to prise it out it just distorted horribly.

They’ve gone away and due credit to them they’re now trying to source a full trim kit and endeavouring to do a clean job of it.

Happy so far they’re trying to do a good job. It will somewhat spend don though what success they have with finding a trim for the top.
PMEmail Poster
paulstringer
Posted: July 26, 2018 07:15 am

AutoGlass unable to get trims (they won’t supply second hand). So now I’m on the lookout for the top trim moulding. The rubbery strip that grips onto the top of the windscreen and doesn’t come off apparently without a fight.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Skin arobase par alphega @ PCentraide 2005 (original)
V1.3 par Elianora la blanche @ La Caverne de la Rose pourpre