Powered by Invision Power Board

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) Resend Validation Email

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Coded Keypad Issue, Can't get keypad to unlock
martinpenk
Posted: December 08, 2008 10:38 pm

Group: Members
Member No.: 1374

Having a bad week. Dirving down to local Locksmith in XM 2.5VSX TD Estate P reg to get spare C5 key coded after wife broke original key somewhere. Underestimated distance travelled on reserve and ran out of deisel. ( I think) Engine cut out and woukldn't re start. Got diesel, put a gallon in. Got in car and cranked it over then realised I hadn't punched in my code. Punched in my code but noticed red light and green light were on toghether. The keypad will not unlock. Tried the 30 minute wait followed by 1 minute with ignition on before trying my code again as per the revised instructions for this model but still no luck. The car is cranking over but it isn't firing and I'm fairly sure its now a code issue rather than fuel. I am pretty certain both lights should not be on when either before or after the code is punched in. It is difficult to follow the instruction is the manual because they appear to have made several revisions to this code system on this vehicle over the years. I have a Photocopied ammendment sheet inserted in my original manual.

Any thoughts anyone?

Martin

This post has been edited by martinpenk on December 08, 2008 10:53 pm
PMEmail Poster
xmexclusive
Posted: December 09, 2008 12:07 am

Andre's Mate

Member No.: 144

Hi Martin

Out of fuel with a diesel is usually bad news as once air is in the system it has to be bled out to get a restart. On the immobiliser front you could try disconnecting the battery to see if reconnecting clears the keypad error. Doing this will reset the microprocessor in the engine ECU. Might be worth telling us the ORGA number of your car as there are three different UK versions of the 2.5 XM keypad set-up. The fact that it is a P reg car can be missleading as while some 2.5's were registered straight away others can have taken as much as two years from build to registration.

Have now seen Robert's reply below and that reminds me that I need to add a postscript about the difference between the Master code and the Garage code. This applies to the later two versions of the 2.5 Immobiliser. These are usually identified by the C/S keypad. In these immobiliser versions the Master code is stored in non volitile memory in the ECU so survives a battery disconnection while the Garage code is stored in volitile memory (in the keypad I think) so it is lost if the battery or keypad is disconnected and then the car reverts to the Master code. Only the final immobiliser version has Plip bypass of the keypad allowing the car to be started without the code within one minute of unlocking the car with the plip.

John

This post has been edited by xmexclusive on December 09, 2008 12:40 am

--------------------
An interest in 2.5TD's.
PMEmail Poster
robertxmb
Posted: December 09, 2008 12:12 am

Member No.: 184

Hi Martin,

The red and green lights both on indicates a fault condition or a condition that compromises the anti theft defences. I take it that by now you will have locked the car and returned to it only to find that the condition remains unresolved.

It could simply be a faulty connection somewhere between the keypad and the ECU.

If I were to plump for something I suggest that you check that the injector pump solenoid is ok. I don't wish to suggest anything about connections until you confirm that you are sure the code is the master security code (and not a service code). Has your keypad got S and C buttons? I am also a bit stuck for time at the moment.

The 30 minute wait business usually follows 3 wrong code entries and you get beeps and flashing red light for the duration.

Regards, Robert

edit:
I see John has replied while I was typing mine.You are in good hands there . I assumed you had bled the system and agree with all John has said if code ok

This post has been edited by robertxmb on December 09, 2008 12:21 am
PMEmail Poster
martinpenk
Posted: December 09, 2008 11:37 pm

Member No.: 1374

Thanks folks

Tried bleeding the system today and spoke to my local citroen guy who mentioned disconnnecting the battery. Both done and unsucessful. I think I have fuel to the pump but no go with both red and green remaining on. I will pass on the comment to Dave (Independent Citroen mechanic) who is looking out a dealer sequence for getting back to factory setting. He may have more insight into your helpful comments regards connections and injector pump solenoid. To clarify it is the new arrangement with C and S keys (Key DN deleted) By the way what is Plip bypass? You lost me here.

Thanks once again

Martin
PMEmail Poster
xmexclusive
Posted: December 09, 2008 11:56 pm

Andre's Mate

Hi Martin

Plip bypass is the last feature added to the XM keypad/immobiliser. From somewhere about 1997 onwards an extra wire connects a previously unused pin on the plip receiver to the keypad. With this system when the plip is pressed to unlock the car it also turns the keypad green light on for one minute during which time the car can be started without needing to punch in the 4-digit immobiliser code. If not started during this minute the red light then comes on, the immobiliser engages and the starting code will then be needed to start the car.

John

--------------------
An interest in 2.5TD's.
PMEmail Poster
colinxm
Posted: December 10, 2008 05:44 am

Member No.: 100

Hi Martin, your problem isn't simply that the safety cut out switch (a small, grey, rubber covered square switch located neat the water expansion tank) has been tripped and needs to be reset ? give it a push and see...

Good luck, Colin.P

--------------------
Colin.P.
Jørpeland, Norway
1995 2.1TD silver estate, Rp 6723
1979 Triumph TR7 convertable
1998 Ford Puma (the wife's)
1989 Peugeot 205 cabriolet (the son's but I have to fix it...)
2004 Peugeot 307SW (another one for the missus)
PMEmail PosterYahoo
xmexclusive
Posted: December 10, 2008 11:49 am

Andre's Mate

Good point Colin. It catches me out sufficiently often that on my scrapyard trips I have aquired a few of the later Red covers and swap them for the less noticable black ones. They at least stand out when I am stood bonnet up puzzling as to why the useless lump of an engine refuses to go.

John

--------------------
An interest in 2.5TD's.
PMEmail Poster
colinxm
Posted: December 13, 2008 09:42 pm

Member No.: 100

Any joy yet Martin ?

Colin.P

--------------------
Colin.P.
Jørpeland, Norway
1995 2.1TD silver estate, Rp 6723
1979 Triumph TR7 convertable
1998 Ford Puma (the wife's)
1989 Peugeot 205 cabriolet (the son's but I have to fix it...)
2004 Peugeot 307SW (another one for the missus)
PMEmail PosterYahoo
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Skin arobase par alphega @ PCentraide 2005 (original)
V1.3 par Elianora la blanche @ La Caverne de la Rose pourpre