Powered by Invision Power Board

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) Resend Validation Email

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Tensioning The Belt On Hydraulic Pump, V6 -93, - How it is done!
Paberg
  Posted: November 16, 2008 01:16 pm

Group: Members
Member No.: 1368

Hello!
I have a XM Break with the V6, manual gear. Have had a couple of CX:s before, and am familiar with the hydraulic system.
Now, for a time, the belt to the hydraulic pump has been screeching (correct word?) now and then. Piece of cake I thougt, just do a little tensioning of the belt and it will be ok.
But - how do I do it on this vehicle?
XM feels like a lot more modern construction than the CX. So it is not just to loosen a nut, tension the belt, and fix the nut again on a XM.
I have studied Haynes, and it isn't of much help on the V6.
So, I looked in the engine room and took som photographs to try to figure it out. Think I have now, but would like to hear if anyone of you has done this and I have understood it right.

The first two pictures shows the pump, on the top of the engine, seen from the left side of the car:
user posted image user posted image

Then, views from the top and backside of the pump, from the left side of the car:

And finally what I think would be the adjustment nut, and a picture from Haynes applicable for XM with other engines:

So, if I loosen the nut A, and a little also on the bigger nut C that holds the pump assembly, and then turn the nut B I would be able to tension the belt I think.
- Any advice or experiences to share before I start?

Added: Studied the parts catalouge, and found this picture. Seems i'm on the right track. Now it is just to do it...
(The nut A is left out in this drawing, but the nut B is nr 3.)
user posted image

This post has been edited by Paberg on December 01, 2008 01:21 am
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
DerekW
Posted: November 16, 2008 06:01 pm

Andre's Mate

Member No.: 173

That certainly looks like the way to do it, although I don't see why you should need to loosen the pump nut "C".

Where's Paul when you need him?

Nice pictures, by the way.

Derek

--------------------
1999 3.0V624v Exclusive Black! (RP8362)
2004 C3 Sensodrive Exclusive
1994 ZX Aura 1.8 auto
PMEmail Poster
DOD
Posted: November 17, 2008 11:06 pm

Member No.: 520

Hi,
the pump you have looks like one I had on a 2.1td, your approach seems right, but you should see if the tension seems right as is, if it is you may need a new belt. As I remember, some belts are larger, giving a bigger V and more width at the top, some of the pattern ones just sink into the V of the pulleys instead of sitting at the top.
all the best,
Dod.
PMEmail Poster
UFO
Posted: November 18, 2008 01:05 pm

Member No.: 319

Testing the memory here, but here goes...

Loosen A a little so it will pivot. Then you need to get B to turn to tension. I have a little cheapie ratchet tool I bought at a bargain tools place once that allows me to fit a hex key and get into the space available to turn the tensioner up.

Good luck is my other advice.

--------------------
Craig Keller

'09 C5 HDi Exclusive
'74 D Special
'85 CX 25ie Pallas

Previous
'96 XM V6 Exclusive
'87 BX TRi

http://www.citroencarclub.org.au CCC of NSW Inc

http://www.citroencarclub.org.au/forum Australian Citroen Forum

http://www.aussiefrogs.com Aussiefrogs - Aussies (and others) who drive and love their French cars
Paberg
Posted: November 30, 2008 09:11 am

Member No.: 1368

And so it's done! I didn´t need a new belt, the old one looked ok.
- It wasn't that hard to do after all, even if it is a tight place. There is room first to loosen the lock nut only 1/8 at at time, then the same with a small allen key on the adjustment nut. But nothing was seized, and the whole operation didn't take more than 5-10 minutes.
- Thanks for advice! Now there is no more skreech from the belt! smile.gif
(It was a bit greasy around the place as you can see on the pictures, so I also tightened the outgoing tube from the pump 1/8, that was until tight fit. My experience is that theese seals on the hydraulic system needs a bit of re-tightening after some years.)
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Skin arobase par alphega @ PCentraide 2005 (original)
V1.3 par Elianora la blanche @ La Caverne de la Rose pourpre