Powered by Invision Power Board

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) Resend Validation Email

4 Pages:123>»» ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> In Praise Of The 2.5td, A quick report
UFO
Posted: January 02, 2009 01:47 pm

Group: Members
Member No.: 319

In Australia we only officially received XMs in full "Exclusive" trim. As in V6 and auto. Early models were 12V with ZFHp18 and late were 24v with AL4. Only sedans were officially sold.

Other models have been privately imported but that is a challenge with our onerous regulations. So it is rare to see anything such as an early 24V manual, turbo of any sort, manual or even estate.

Prior to Xmas I asked a recent Pommy arrival to Aus, who brought 2 XMs and a BX 19Gti, if I could borrow his roof bars for the sedan so as to carry our two bikes away for our Xmas holidays (to the lovely south coast of NSW beaches!). He said it was easier to loan us his 2.5TD Estate than to find the sedan roof bars in his very full storage shed. Besides, the Estate needed a run.

Anyway, we have returned today from a ~1200km round trip in the car and we are both quite impressed with its abilities. I will write and share a more comprehensive report later, but just thought for now I would share some good news about the car.

It is a pity we did not get the TD here, but Aussies have only recently taken to diesel engines and even back in the 90s about the only Euro cars you could buy here in diesel were some of the Mercedes Benzes. These were typically bought by well to do farmers and their tractors would magically start using just a bit more (tax free) diesel than normal.

The XM 2.5TD effortlessly eats the kilometres.

--------------------
Craig Keller

'09 C5 HDi Exclusive
'74 D Special
'85 CX 25ie Pallas

Previous
'96 XM V6 Exclusive
'87 BX TRi

http://www.citroencarclub.org.au CCC of NSW Inc

http://www.citroencarclub.org.au/forum Australian Citroen Forum

http://www.aussiefrogs.com Aussiefrogs - Aussies (and others) who drive and love their French cars
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Peter.N.
Posted: January 02, 2009 02:10 pm

Andre's Mate

Member No.: 78

Hi Craig

The 2.5 is undoubtedly a surperb car but the 2.1 runs a close second with the advantage that its easier and cheaper to repair. I have run 2.1 estates for about 13 years now and Have not found a car to better them (apart fron the 2.5) Must be the biggest estate in this country with outstanding comfort and 50 + mpg if driven sensibly. I am pleased you have had the opportunity to try one. There are lots of 2.5 enthusiasts in the club, perhaps they can get one shipped over for you. biggrin.gif

Peter.N.

--------------------
Used to have:

'96 'N' 2.1 td VSX manual estate White RP6695.
'01 'Y' 406 GXL Hdi 110 manual estate silver
'01 C5 estate 2.0. Hdi 110hp manual
Located in Charmouth, Dorset. U.K.

Blower transistors MJ 11015
PMEmail Poster
xmexclusive
Posted: January 02, 2009 03:56 pm

Andre's Mate

Member No.: 144

Hi Craig

There is no way any model of manual XM can be a better overall drive than a V6 with a good working autobox. Best XM performance comes from a V6-24valve. Now if you had tried a 2.1TD auto estate we would still be waiting for you to make it back. Then you would tell us how frugal it was with the fuel. Glad you found the 2.5TD an interesting drive as I still consider it is the only XM to come close to the performance you can get from a V6. Look forward to the full write up.

John

--------------------
An interest in 2.5TD's.
PMEmail Poster
Peter.N.
Posted: January 02, 2009 05:03 pm

Andre's Mate

I exclude any of the petrol models as not being 'proper'cars. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Used to have:

PMEmail Poster
DerekW
Posted: January 02, 2009 05:29 pm

Andre's Mate

Member No.: 173

Hi Peter, don't you mean they're "not proper lorries"? biggrin.gif

Derek

This post has been edited by DerekW on January 02, 2009 05:29 pm

--------------------
1999 3.0V624v Exclusive Black! (RP8362)
2004 C3 Sensodrive Exclusive
1994 ZX Aura 1.8 auto
PMEmail Poster
Andmcit
Posted: January 02, 2009 05:46 pm

Andre's Mate

Member No.: 7

QUOTE (Peter.N. @ Jan 2 2009, 13:10 PM)
There are lots of 2.5 enthusiasts in the club, perhaps they can get one shipped over for you.

Is this an offer of a permanent vacation or a holiday in Oz for us Pom 2.5 drivers? biggrin.gif

I'm sure Craig would prefer having a complete 2.5TD though everyone could all post him
pieces of an Xm 2.5 in crates as a big DIY MECCANO assembly kit!? There'd be the risk
he'd end up with 10 left handed track rod ends though...

Andrew
PM
xmexclusive
Posted: January 02, 2009 07:17 pm

Andre's Mate

Member No.: 144

Hi Andrew

No ones getting my spare 2.5 track rod ends as they are different to those on all other XM's.

John

--------------------
An interest in 2.5TD's.
PMEmail Poster
citroenxm
Posted: January 03, 2009 12:26 am

Andre's Mate

Member No.: 257

Heres also to the V6 12v as the Top engine/box combination... DESPITE IT BEING NOT THE MOST RELIABLE!!! (I mean in the starter area)

Then the V6 24v PRV unit, NOT the laster PSA 24v engine. (Ive not driven one of these S2 units)

I cannot grumble at the actuall running of the car..... the engines in my V6 12v and 24v PRV units will TAKE me anywere and had taken me everywere before she had a rest.

Ive not properly driven a 2.5, just had a half hour run in one, I was VERY Tourqy and I was very impressed, due to the massive tourqe the flexibility made gear changing minimal and there fore no need for an auto box...

I think then it has to be the 2.1 TD Engine..

Then the 16v Engines (A guess here too, not sampled a 16v Unit)

Then the 2 litre Turbo - Got one, dont really think too much of them - A bit noisy, and thrashey shounding (Sorry Two litre turbo Guys, just my OWN opinion)

Then the N/a 2.0i 8v engine - Ive had one of these too with a manual box, that was slow and was supposed to be 130bhp - I couldn't find it, god knows what they are like on an autobox..

But thats my rundown list...

Rgds
Paul

--------------------
1993 K Reg 3.0 V6 12 Valve Auto (Green) LPG S1.5 SORNd
1990 H reg 3.0 V6 24 valve Manual. Grey S1 SORNd
1991 H reg 2.1 SED td Manual, Maroon. SORNd
1992 K reg 2.1 SD Manual. Getting ready to sell on

1998 V reg Xantia HDi Exclusive Silver

PMEmail Poster
UFO
Posted: January 03, 2009 05:18 am

Yes Paul, thanks for reminding me why I am sitting at the computer on a Saturday afternoon instead of being under the XM pulling the starter out again...

I have driven a PRV 24V 5sp and it was bloody fast. A "license loser" in my books!

To import cars to Aus built prior to about 1990, you either have to pay a whacking great import duty or own AND use the car regularly prior to bringing it into Aus. eg If I was working in the UK for a year or so then I could buy a car then ship it. Freight charges can be fairly high and then when it gets here it has to be thoroughly steam cleaned by a trained gorilla at the wharves (Aus is still Foot and Mouth free and also free of a lot of other nasties and keen to stay that way).

You then have to spend considerable time and money ensuring the car meets ADRs (Aus Design Rules) for the year of manufacture. eg Child restraint points, lights, uses ULP etc. Our ADRs are fairly tough and were a reference point for other nations that are only now catching up.

So the challenges of bringing a car in are not insurmountable but expensive and time consuming.

--------------------
Craig Keller

'09 C5 HDi Exclusive
'74 D Special
'85 CX 25ie Pallas

Previous
'96 XM V6 Exclusive
'87 BX TRi

http://www.aussiefrogs.com Aussiefrogs - Aussies (and others) who drive and love their French cars
DoubleChevron
Posted: January 03, 2009 08:43 am

Member No.: 165

If I had to get an XM (which wouldn't be my choice in cars by a long shot... Gimme a nice CX turbo anyday), it would be a 24v 5spd manual. I HATE the slugomatics, don't like the steering... IMO the CX rides better, handles better, steers better, brakes better, is quieter ( why ?? Why is the XM as noisy as my ratty old CX ??). The CX's seats are much better... It even has a LOT more headroom. How can such a big car as the XM not fit a tiny little guy like me in it without my head resting on the roof ?

Now where can I get that 2.5TD manual with a proper gearbox for SWMBO to drive 8)

seeya,
Shane L.

--------------------
Location ... Ballarat, Victoria, Australia.
Real cars:
Citroens CX's, DS, GS's slowly rusting away.

Lumps of merde wearing Citroen badges:
'96 XM 2.1TD slugomatic ... "The fragile expensive one".
citroenxm
Posted: January 03, 2009 10:21 am

Andre's Mate

Member No.: 257

Shane, Try lowering the Seat Height Adjuster, the button on the FRONT of the platic runner on the right side of the seat laugh.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif

Im quite looking forward to getting a CX ! Just a few more things round here I need to clear up..

Rgds
Paul

--------------------
1993 K Reg 3.0 V6 12 Valve Auto (Green) LPG S1.5 SORNd
1990 H reg 3.0 V6 24 valve Manual. Grey S1 SORNd
1991 H reg 2.1 SED td Manual, Maroon. SORNd
1992 K reg 2.1 SD Manual. Getting ready to sell on

1998 V reg Xantia HDi Exclusive Silver

PMEmail Poster
UFO
Posted: January 03, 2009 11:29 am

Yes I am wondering how Shane can bang his head on the ceiling. He is about my height (191cm) and I never have head meeting the headlining issues. My XM has no sunroof, but the diesel I drove did and still no issues.

For those that still haven't found it, it's a rocker switch on the front edge of the seat near the leg length compensating device.

Strangely enough Shane and his wife are of similar height disparity to me and my wife, so the leg length compensator (copyright UFO) gets frequent use in our car.

--------------------
Craig Keller

'09 C5 HDi Exclusive
'74 D Special
'85 CX 25ie Pallas

Previous
'96 XM V6 Exclusive
'87 BX TRi

ThwartedEfforts
Posted: January 03, 2009 11:48 am

Member No.: 1397

QUOTE (DoubleChevron @ Jan 3 2009, 07:43 AM)
If I had to get an XM (which wouldn't be my choice in cars by a long shot... Gimme a nice CX turbo anyday), it would be a 24v 5spd manual. I HATE the slugomatics, don't like the steering... IMO the CX rides better, handles better, steers better, brakes better, is quieter ( why ?? Why is the XM as noisy as my ratty old CX ??). The CX's seats are much better... It even has a LOT more headroom. How can such a big car as the XM not fit a tiny little guy like me in it without my head resting on the roof ?

Now where can I get that 2.5TD manual with a proper gearbox for SWMBO to drive 8)

seeya,
Shane L.

Lemme just check here, your XM - large wedge shaped thing with more glass than the average greenhouse? I need to make sure as my CX is a whole order of magnitude noisier than my XM and is considerably more cramped inside - Independence Day mothership vs Apollo lunar module. The three speed CX box really drones at motorway speeds whereas the four speed equivalent in the XM simply doesn't and you just have to look at the different approaches to sound deadening to see why. Despite slightly nicer, deeper seats, I have a great deal less room to move about when driving the CX, a result of the seat not going back far enough, the wheel not adjusting, and the car being a good four inches narrower overall. It also doesn't help that there is a luxurious amount of dead space to the left of the XM's pedals where there is none in the CX, and the XM's ventilation making longer journeys that much more of a pleasure. Perhaps your CX is a rare prototype for the XM? wink.gif

--------------------
97 'R' XM 2.0i SX Saloon Auto
92 'J' XM 2.1 D Saloon Manual
08 08 C5 II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Tourer Auto
07 57 C1 1.4 HDi Rhythm
PMEmail Poster
UFO
Posted: January 03, 2009 12:38 pm

Shane's problem could be that he bought a pair of sunglasses in about 1989. He wears them all the time. A special feature of these sunglasses is that they make every Citroen built post 1989 unworthy in comparison to a CX.

--------------------
Craig Keller

'09 C5 HDi Exclusive
'74 D Special
'85 CX 25ie Pallas

Previous
'96 XM V6 Exclusive
'87 BX TRi

Peter.N.
Posted: January 03, 2009 01:09 pm

Andre's Mate

I never had an XM saloon so can't comment but the Safari loadspcace is considerably longer than the XM estate and so was that much more useful. It was by far the best car I had driven up to that time and still has some advantages over the XM, diravi steering and central steering knuckles to name but a few, the CX had directional stability second to none (in my experience) It was sadly let down by the useless heater though. I think a CX with an XM heater would be perfect. biggrin.gif

Peter.N.

--------------------
Used to have:

PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options4 Pages:123>»» Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Skin arobase par alphega @ PCentraide 2005 (original)
V1.3 par Elianora la blanche @ La Caverne de la Rose pourpre